Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Oil coming out of breather filter

Over the last few weeks I've getting oil dripping from the breather filter I've installed. I have a bit of pipe used to connect it from the rocker cover and filter. The pipe is angled quite steeply to try and stop this from happening but the filter just seems to be saturated in oil.

Its been on the car for several months and I haven't had any problems with it till now.

Its on the VR by the way :wink:

Timo.

That's normally what happens. The oily vapours that would normally be sucked into the engine is now condensing on the filter instead. You'll need to periodically clean the filter. A catch tank would be a better solution but there's not much room for one in a VR!

Yeh I was thinking cleaner it would be a good idea.

I made a bit of a botch up catch tank the other day. It was pretty cool. I used an old fuel filter casing and made it shorter. Thought it was going to be the daddy but the pipes I used for it were only as big as fuel pipes and this was causing quite alot of pressure in the head of the engine. Undoing the oil filler cap was like opening a can of coke :roll: . So i've disconnected it again. Gonna have another go at making something better with bigger pipes.

Timo.

When I had my 16V Turbo, I just ran a pipe from the breather to the ground, well, strapped it to the chassis leg! Not very environmentally friendly I know and the car stank of fumes, but it solved the problem!

I did eventually make a catch tank but eventually found the engine wasn't 'breathing' as much as I thought and used to get a brown, watery sludge in the tank rather than oil. So I put the OE breather back on with lots of stainless wire wool in the hose.... seemed to do the trick!