Sign in to follow this  
andy

Humming hubs

Hi, I'm getting a droning/humming noise from the car, I assumed it was wheel bearings but yesterday I jacked each wheel up and could feel no roughness and no apparant play in the bearing when I rocked the whole wheel side to side. Is this a fair way to check bearing wear? Where do I look now?

it sounds like the bearings. they'll hum long before you have any play

in fact if you have play that you can feel, it'll sound more like a violent thump than a hum!!!!!!!!!

ok then but how do I know if its the front or rears, I'm not looking to replace all four wheel bearings (unless I know they need it)

for the fronts jack up one wheel, and in a high gear release the clutch VERY GENTLY to get the jacked up wheel spinning - if there is any play the sound will make it obvious.

for the backs, take it for a drive, then fold down the rear seats and take it for another drive - if it's the backs it will be lot louder

then get a mate to crawl around in your boot to determine which wheel - on a private road/ air strip of course :wink:

its hard to call really.

some people say that when say the front left is worn, the sound comes from the front right ?!?!?!?!?!?!? i think its just coming from everywhere.

if you suspect the rears, try the car with the rear seats folded down (or out!) and the shelf out. even get a mate to get in there while you are driving and have a listen. rear wheel bearings when worn are pretty audible to the rear passengers.

if it is them. the rears are fairly straightforward to change. a good oppurtunity to change the rear disks n pads too. straightforward that is, if the caliper carrier bolts come undone :evil:

if its the fronts, then probably best to change both. if you cant run to that expense, get the car up on a jack (a 4 poster ramp would be better) and give each fron wheel a good spin. then take your best guess :roll:

for the fronts jack up one wheel, and in a high gear release the clutch VERY GENTLY to get the jacked up wheel spinning - if there is any play the sound will make it obvious.

Make sure you don't have an LSD fitted and it's not a 4x4 first though! (not mentioning any names...) ;) :lol:

Make sure you don't have an LSD fitted and it's not a 4x4 first though! (not mentioning an :lol: y names...) ;) :lol:

:lol:

if the caliper carrier bolts come undone :evil:

quote]

so true :cry: