Sign in to follow this  
chuck

Won't start - urgent!!

Just done head gasket, started it, went first time, took it for a spin and all was well.

Now an hour later and it won't start. I've shecked for spark and fuel and its getting both. Funny thing though, it would catch with the injector out !!!!

Now though the starter motor won't engage. Just whirrs. Wots with that???

Have two things happened at once?? Whats going on - it worked fine earlier.

Tell you what, I've had just about enough with this car now - its let me down too often, and cost an unbelievable fortune :evil:

If this isn't something simple, I might just get rid of it.... :(

OK starter motor works now. (odd one - but I think I've noticed it doing that before)

I can get the car started by taking out an injector and revving it, and then putting injector back in fast.

It then runs, but idles very lumpy and definately feels like its lost some power.

I checked timing on the belt again - looks fine, both TDC's line up.

Each spark plug is definately sparking.

The dizzy is adjusted one way as far as it will go, the other way makes the idle worse.

Dunno wots wrong!

Anybody got any ideas???

well the starter will sometimes stop when its engaged all the time as it will get pretty hot..as for not starting proporly...check all the pipes are on,earth strap conected,if not it could kill the ecu..

Everything is properly connected, checked timing, re did timing (idles a bit better now), but still won't start when hot unless I pull an injector out.

And now the starter is getting more temporamental. Very often won't engage (but will whirr) when hot.

THis is doing my head in now, not to mention very embrassing as there is a really loud high pitched squeel as it catches with the injector out (air passing through the injector housing). Not to mention I can't rely on it to do anything, shops, work....AAARRGGHHH!!!

How much is a good 16V engine for a transplant these days?? :evil:

Go for the same as most people into dubs at the moment and drop a 20v T in.

Should get a complete one for about a grand.

Aha, got it.

Looks like the thermotime switch is knackered. Cold start valve comes on every time I try to start it - flooding it (disconnecting the valve wires when hot and it starts easily). Also explains why removing an injector helped it to start.

Just remembered trying to take the connector off the switch, I twisted the head without unscrewing it. Mustav broken it.

Think I've got one banging round somewhere from my rocco days............

Happy days.