Sign in to follow this  
adambob

Schrick Manifolds? Supercharger? Re-map?

Can someone please help me decide on what modifications i should make to my VR6!

I have had quotes for the following:

1) Z-Engineering Supercharger (with some head work)

2) Re-map, enlarged Throttle body

3) Re-map, enlarged Throttle body, Schrick Manifold (and potentially cams as well)

The above obviously differ significantly in price and performance enhancement capability but i need some advice from you guys who have already invested in some / all of the above.

I'm keen to increase the torque and 0-60 without spending excessive amounts of cash. I've already spent £2000 on BBS RX's, Bilstein shocks + springs, Milltek Stealth exhaust and an induction kit. I don't have a budget but don't wish to spend more than £2000 unless some particularly good advice comes my way.

Any thoughts / concerns would be most appriciated....

Cheers

I will sell you my z-eng charger, custom charge cooler, water/methanol injection, good for about 270 bhp all day long!

All for a bit over 2000.

Gibber - sounds interesting although Nathan at auto-amd advises against the supercharger as the engine wasn't constructed with such pressures in mind.

I still haven't ruled out the supercharger option but i have two concerns......

1) Going with the supercharger option may also require some head work which will set me back a further £1500.

2) Why are you selling yours?!

the schrick vgi is great but will probably need a remap aswell so always budget another £350 ish for that!

the schrick 268 cams are very good aswell but are pricey!!!

personally i dont like the sound of forced induction.... especially on an engine that wasnt designed for that purpose!

jedi-knight - what performance gains did you experience when you went with the schrich vgi? and what did you pay?

The sports cams are about £600 a pair inc VAT i think so you're probably looking at exceeding the £2000 (superficial!) limit.

I'd go the supercharger route and if your going for the Z-eng charger get the zr2 with cogged drive belt. Avoid the zr1 or you'll be stopping every 2 minutes to tighten the belt. You don't need to modify the engine in anyway (no need for headwork, loweredd CR or intercooling) as they only run low boost.

Supercharger v's Schrick.....

so it's 2-1 so far to the supercharger.

What about the excess pressure on an engine clocking 90K ?

Insurance?

Increased Petrol Consumption?

adambob, the link in my signature told my power results. You may see a little more gain with a remap but probably nothing huge. Its amazing how different the car feels though! doesnt feel lazy anymore.

I was lucky. I paid £600 for my schrick. if you buy it new from america you can get it for £1100 ish or they pop up on ebay now and again for about £900 ish

I supercharged by rado (using a zr2) at 95k and I've just replaced it with a vortech at 120k. 25k miles of trouble free motoring. If the headgasket is ok you should be fine.

Insurance: about £300 extra than what I was paying previously.

Fuel: about 25 mpg average but depends on driving style. 32 achieveable on motorway journeys.

Supercharging is the way to go if you want plenty of power and torque.

The VGI and Cams merely serve to alter the engine's characteristics, with a bit more power and torque thrown in, but nothing like as much as the blower gives. Considering how close in price the two routes are, Supercharging is the more cost effective for what it gives in return.

Supercharger is still winning - jedi knight, give me some more ammo as my original personal preference (the manifold) is losing.

Corradovr6sc - what performance do youget out of the zr2 ? 0-60 specifically.

kevhaywire - the vz2 supercharger.....how much ? who's best to do it? (in the North) any decent www links ?

ps nice clean straight looking motor, i like the wheels.

adambob I agree with corradovr6sc you do not need any head or engine work to fit one ov these chargers and have trouble free motoring. My engine is on 120000 trouble free miles.

I do disagree with corradovr6sc about not getting the ZR1 as you need to keep retightening the belt, I have never had to tighten my belt, you just need to use belt dressing every once in a while to stop it slipping! But that is a matter of opinions, and of course I am selling a ZR1.

I am selling mine as Im going to rebuild my engine and go down a new route as I am going to use the car more for drag racing.

If you are interested we can meet up some where and I will take you out in it and show you the power differance.

it all depends how much power you want the shrec set-up usually gets you just over 200 horses, where as the charger is getting you more like 250!

0-60 I'm not sure but probably high fives or low 6s. It's not really about the 0-60 from a standing start but what it does when it's moving. No front wheel drive car is brilliant off the mark. I've done the 1/4 mile at Santa Pod in 14.2 and reckon 0-100 in under 14 secs but this doesn't reflect the real world performance.

Cheers adambob :lol:

I don't know about prices and fitters for the ZR2 or Vortech but Stealth Racing have fitted quite a few of them http://www.stealthracing.co.uk and can also supply them I think. Plus the guys on here have a lot of experience of them too.

I'd focus on the midrange grunt rather than 0-60. Even if the S/C did facilitate a much quicker 0-60, you'd struggle to deploy all of the power without an LSD, especially in the wet. I don't think 0-60s are substantially lower with the S/C as it does most of it's work in the midrange up, but it's usually low to mid 6s with just a blower as the mod.

I've got the VGI on mine, and the 268 cams and also a bigger throttle and remap. It's not bad. It's not earth shattering by any means but I love the much improved midrange. I haven't got any figures before you ask.... I prefer to feel the differences rather than see them on a dyno..... but it will be dyno'd soon when I get the remap remapped!

Well actually the only figure I do have is the speedo needle resting on the stop as I overtook a BMW 330Ci.....but there's a chap on here that's had a lot more than that from his S/C'd VR....

As a ball park though, Stealth usually see 220-225bhp from an engine the same spec as mine.

Cheers

K

gibber - sounds good although i'd need to get quotes from the likes of dubsport / extreme GTI etc for labour charges for fittting it without committing to anything. More importantly, the lack of a warranty which i would get from a manufacturer if bought from new could be an issue.

Yeah true about the warranty.

As for fitment, its only 3 bolts for the charger and a couple more for the tensioner, I would do that for you!

The chargecooler is a touch harder to fit but I could easily do that also!

Like I said if you want to meet up and go for a spin with no comitments let me know, its all ways good to talk to like mined corrado fans!

gibber 2k - a mini corrado rally sounds good. Are you based in Wigan ? We'll arrange something soon - next couple of weeks maybe? (mailto:[email protected])

kevhaywire - cheers for the comprehensive breakdown. Just to clarify, you HAVEN'T got a supercharger have you ? i.e. just the vgi, cams, enlarged throttle + re-map.

Cheers to everyone for their input - bl00dy good advice!

kevhaywire - cheers for the comprehensive breakdown. Just to clarify, you HAVEN'T got a supercharger have you ? i.e. just the vgi, cams, enlarged throttle + re-map.

Yep that's it, no supercharger on mine. In hindsight I would have gone down the Supercharger route, but they were over £2500 back then and all my tuning kit cost me £1700 + 2 hours labour to fit the cams, so I got a reasonable increase in torque and power for reasonable money.

The VGI gives a noticable difference

The cams do aswell (even on their own) but is more noticable at the top end.

The throttle and rechip on their own won't give you much of an improvement but the car will drive better.

The whole lot together really works well.

With the VGI, you get a sudden burst of torque from 3000 to 4000rpm and then it's best work is done. Kind of feels like momentarily putting the handbrake on at 4000 and then it takes off again. The cams take over at 4000rpm and the step isn't so pronounced.

The beauty of the VGI on it's own is you don't have to rev the nuts off the engine to make good progress and 5th feels like 4th compared to a non-vgi'd engine.

Eitherway, you'll be pleased with the VGI or charger

Ill put my vote in for the schrick, but only because I may be selling mine soon. :wink:

Oh really!? MMmmmm interesting and also interested. Me thinks supercharger is just too much money and will still be too much money next year when I will be in better financial shape :lol:

Timo.

Joe M - cheers for the vote! When do you intend to sell them and for what price?.....

Kevhaywire - yet more constructive advice which has swung me back to the vgi. I'd like to respect the engine and not necessarily expose it to the force of the charger. When i mentioned 0-60 i was actually refering to 30-90 i.e. mid range. I'm sick of TT drivers pulling away from me :x

Some independant tests a few years ago found the VGI knocked a second off the 50-70 time.... but I don't think anyone has timed all of the in-gear times with a VGI though.

TTs pose no problems to a Shricked and cam'd VR :wink