Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

head light woes - problem solved

Hi all

As we call know, Corrado's are incredibly bad in the head light department. I'm getting really naffed of with my lights. I have an upprated headlight loom but it's still terrible. I'm pretty sure I could drive around with my full beam on & no one would notice. :roll:

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve them more?

Recommend a decent set of bulbs maybe??

Cheers

Dan

are the reflectors in your headlights ok, as the silver does start to flake off after a while

As far as I'm aware. I'll have to take a look to be sure.

Is that new headlight time if they aren't?

it usually starts around the bulb as that bit gets the most heat, i think you can change the back section without changing the lens though

my dad used to be in the antiques trade and used to be able to get mirrors re-silvered and i recall a guy taking a set of roller lights in to be re-silvered so i might ask if he can can get these done too,as mine have just started to go

Hi all

As we call know, Corrado's are incredibly bad in the head light department. I'm getting really naffed of with my lights. I have an upprated headlight loom but it's still terrible. I'm pretty sure I could drive around with my full beam on & no one would notice. :roll:

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve them more?

Recommend a decent set of bulbs maybe??

Cheers

Dan

Good/new reflectors and separately relayed dip and main beam, left and right (i.e. 4 relays) together with 80/100W main unit and 60W spots and I can assure you the lights are excellent. In fact on dip (2 x 80W) my lights appear whiter and brighter on the motorway compared to most new cars I pass. If you need new reflectors you can use the entire light unit from pre 92 cars regardless of whether you have a facelifted model or not (just change the lenses and trims over for later cars) and these items were about 65 quid through the VW parts club from VAG, complete later units were way more IIRC.

David.

have you measured the voltage at the headlight ? i have an uprated loom and it works great, dipped beam is much better than main beam was without it

ps. i'm running PIAA bulbs

it usually starts around the bulb as that bit gets the most heat, i think you can change the back section without changing the lens though

my dad used to be in the antiques trade and used to be able to get mirrors re-silvered and i recall a guy taking a set of roller lights in to be re-silvered so i might ask if he can can get these done too,as mine have just started to go

reflectors are plastic though, and this is a special vacuum process from what I remember, I think it's usually too expensive to have done as a one off, and that's if you can find someone to do it!

David.

they should be... it's the glass that gives the beam pattern, so, once you'd adjusted 'em properly, they should be OK... 8)

Cool. Will have a look at the state of mine, if they are bad there's a LHD drive set on ebay.

I might just put some new bulbs in tonight and see if that make a difference.

i love gooooooolllllddd the smell of it, the taste of it :lol:

seriously though would that actually be legal :?:

Depends on the light colour you'd get and how reflective it is... can't see why not if the light is a reasonable white colour...

Just gold plate it with white Gold if you're worried! ;) 8)

well they cant be any yellow'er than the original p!ss yellow lights :lol:

you can buy gold and silver electroplating kits quite cheap which will plate pretty much anything 8)

Back on subject,

I changed my headlight bulbs last night... my god what a difference!!! :shock: I used 100/80 laser blue jobbies from Halfords - they did say for off road use only, but I thought what the hell my lights are terrible. They were £12.99 each, but worth every penny as I can now see at night!! :D

Here's what they looked like this morning. Unfortunately it started getting light rather quick.

head_lights.jpg

This is a huge improvement! I would defiantly recommend them. I just need to do all the other lights now as they are all still yellowy :roll:

Dan

IIRC they also cause the headlight switch to burn out? Something to do with a lot of the current going to the lights runs through the switch first... appologies if this is incorrect :?

Hi Dont use LHD lights, The bulb holders (built in to the reflectors) hold the bulbs at a differnt angle to RHD ones, it's not just the reflectors that alter the beam, I know I tried it!

IIRC they also cause the headlight switch to burn out? Something to do with a lot of the current going to the lights runs through the switch first... appologies if this is incorrect :?

Any way round this & still using them?

What switch? Where? :oops:

the head light switch in the dash... thinking about it I'm really not all that sure now. Someone on the Seat forum was saying not to use uprated bulbs as the current to the h/l runs through the h/l switch (and apparently does on a lot of VAG cars. The C being much older I guess it might be different and if you have a loom then it may not be the case anyway - sorry I think I'm just confusing things :oops: