Sign in to follow this  
mark_ingle

G60 Best Engine Mods

Hi, I apologise if this has been covered already but i am new to the forum.

I am looking at getting at bit more from my G60, from reading around most people tend to go for a 68mm Pulley and a chip.

What do think people is the best thing to do? do I get it chipped without upgrading the pulley? because I do not really want to have to be getting the supercharger rebuilt every 12 months. Or will this have little effect on its own? Or is there a better altenative?

Can anyone reccomend the best way to go that will not mean I am having to spend a fortune every 12 months on rebuilds, and does anybody know someone in the southampton area that would be able to do the work?

Thanks

I ran my Golf with just a 68mm chip until I got around to fitting the pulley. No extra power but it did feel much smoother. You don't need rebuilds every year with a 68mm unless you are doing mega mileages. 30K.

Get the pulley you won't be disappointed.

Gavin

Superchargers tend to need rebuilds at around 50K miles on a standard pulley... this is reduced to about 30K on a 68mm pulley, or around 25K on a 65mm pulley...

You live in a good place to own a G60 based car as you have both G-werks and JMR on your doorstep (both just outside Rustington) and both are the most recommended places to get G60 superchargers rebuild and the engines worked on... 8)

There is little point in changing the chip without changing the pulley... it may give you a little increase, but not an awful lot. Your best bet is to budget for a decent rebuild of the charger, getting it ported and flowed while it's being rebuilt, and then put a 68mm pulley and corresponding chip on at the same time... this should mean that you'll need a charger inspection (not neccesarily rebuild! ;) ) every 18 months to 2 years if you use it within the average milage people drive... I'm looking at getting mine done every 18 months due to driving her around 20K miles a year, but at £300ish every 18 months, that's not too bad in my book! 8)

Hope this helps... 8)

Hi Mark, i would be happy to discuss with you the ways by which you could improve the performance of your G60. There are a number of well publicised tweeks to be done to the engine , all of which have been chewed over many times on this forum, but i would suggest we also look at the suspension and associated bushes as well. These components, if still the OEM items, will be very tired at best and well overdue for replacement. You would be amazed by the perceived improvement to the overall performance a complete suspension and bush replacement can make. Sounds daft maybe, but if you are able to carry greater speed into corners, apply the power with better control over traction, and brake later without the front end diving into the deck you will see the true handling capabilities of your G60 restored for the first time since new.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards, John. JMR 07974 020031

Or come along to the GTI meet in west sussex on sunday. I will be passing southhampton on my way to it about 09:30 in the morning i could meet you at m27 services. Going to JMR (16vg60) to collect some bits and pieces then to the meet at the fox pub

Many Thanks for all the replies, and thanks to John for the offer this sunday, unfortunately I have got to take My wifes mini exhaust of :( , but for the future how do I find out about the meets in my area? because I would like to pop along and have a chat.

Also My Supercharger was rebuilt in Feb this year and hase probably only covered about 5k miles, will it still need a full rebuild or can the pulley just be replaced? And does anybody know about how much the pulley upgrade will and the chip will cost?

Thanks

Many Thanks for all the replies, and thanks to John for the offer this sunday, unfortunately I have got to take My wifes mini exhaust of :( , but for the future how do I find out about the meets in my area? because I would like to pop along and have a chat.

Thanks

Definately go and see John, I went down a couple of weeks ago and learnt so much about the car. It's not often you find somebody so knowledgable and enthusiastic about G60's! It's gonna cost me about a grand but the car will be sorted then. (And his Mrs made me coffee!) :D

mark_ingle - just keep your eyes peeled on the Events section of the forum. Anything Corrado related that comes up usually gets posted in there :)

As mentioned previously, it is imperative to ensure you have a solid foundation to your car before you even consider tuning it. It is both false economy and asking for disaster if you spend your money in the wrong area :shock: . Once you are happy that the car is in tip top form then divert your energy and funds into extracting power out of the car.

You have no worries about running a 68mm pulley and it compromising reliability after the charger has been rebuilt and it deemed that the unit is structurally sound to cope with the higher average rpm generated by using smaller than stock pulley. The bearings and materials we use in all of our rebuilds have been up rated to cope with the extra loads exerted on the charger too take the extra punishment. I’ve recently had a few customers call telling me they have been offered ‘cut price rebuilds’ by other company’s, lol read ‘cut price materials’, reputation and reliability is not worth risking using lesser quality product to reduce price.

Your car will respect you as mush as you will respect it. Owners who have stock pulleys and drive their cars a little ‘over enthusiastically’ reduce the service interval on their charger more so than a charger running a 68mm driven sensibly.

To surmise you should look to (guidance only)

Rectify all running problems/leaks/excessively worn components

Rebuild the charger (possibly port as well)

Oil cooler (search the forum threads to read the merits of this mod)

Smaller pulley combined with a quality chip

Front mount intercooler conversion.

The most important thing for you to decide is what you ultimately want the car to be like and what you are going to be using it for. Talk to as many fellow Corrado owners as possible to get a general unbiased consensus to what modifications/improvements will be of most benefit to you.