Sign in to follow this  
SteveM16v

Dying

Try checking that the rotor arm is not 180deg out when piston No1 is at TDC and the timing marks line up.

There is a notch on the distributor to mark TDC. Turn the crank using a 19mm socket till the timing marks on the crank pulley and cam pulley line up. Also remove No1 cylinder sparkplug and put a rod through the hole onto the piston. This will check that the piston is at TDC when the marks line up. Once you have done this check that the metal end of the rotor arm is lining up with the notch on the dizzy.

I've been trying to get the pin out from ther lower coupling on the distributor using a punch and a hammer. Does anybody have any tips on how to get this out, because I've been trying for the past hour.

thanx

aks I returned your PM. Remember just smack it from both sides on an solid surface.

Anyway, Coullstar If its the timing why does the old one still work?

Should I just take this to a garage to get done as I've got no idea what a TDC is and couldn't see any of the marks you spoke of?

I wish I wasn't so stupid! :mad: I really struggle understanding engines and I own a G reg car - what was I thinking!! :cry:

just called the ex-owner of my distributor and guess what? it has already got a working hall sender within it. So I won't be needing to change it after all :) (what a relief!!). However I am now stuck on how to fit it as I don't know much about setting up the timing or that stuff about the crankshaft.

SteveM16v have a look at the following link if you want to know about the TDC. Oh and by the way it's a great site with contents of the Bentley Manual (don't know if it's the full manual, but it's very useful)

http://volkswagen.msk.ru/vw_doc/eva2/FU03/ch5.2.html