Sign in to follow this  
The Hub

Its Baltic outside!!!

Hi, just bought my first Corrado and as it's so cold outside my first priority is to get the heater working, anyone point me in the right direction of what i need to look for or what could be wrong?

More Questions to follow when i work out my styling, ICE and engine mods :D

But first things first I need some heat!!!

its very possibly had the heater matrix by-passed :( ..............does your temp guage work fine and coolant fan come on?..........if so do a search on the forum using heater matrix bypass as your keywords

And the bad news is, it's probably bypassed because it was leaking. It isn't a fun or cheap job to replace :(

I had this when I got my 1.8 16v a year ago. John Mitchell pointed out it was probably the recall valve that had seazed. I did a bypass with a couple bits of copper tube and some jubilee clips and have had a lovely warm feeling ever since :D No leaks for me but I believe it was more of a precautionary measure for most rather than a must have.Check the pipes between the engine and the valve, just by the bulkhead, if they are warm/hot and the pipes going through the bulkhead after the valve are cold, it's sounds like the same problem I had. Couple of quid for bits and 15-20 mins to fix.

first thing to do its take off the passenger side cubby hole arrangement look into the side of the centre console there is two cables the one nerest you has a large lever attached to it move the heater control check if this is going through its full range of movement if not unclip the wire (just push it off its post) then push it away from you as far as it will go push the heater control to cold reconnect the wire then move to hot the this will shoe you if the wire is pushing the arm far enough if it oly moves a bit try moving it with your hand (towards you) then check heater temp this is by far the easiest test i spent a day under my car to find the cable was snagging took 5 mins to fix!! when i say towards you and away from you i am assuming your are in the passenger footwell!!!

its very possibly had the heater matrix by-passed :( ..............does your temp guage work fine and coolant fan come on?..........if so do a search on the forum using heater matrix bypass as your keywords

Why do you ask if the temp guage is working??? I looked at it tonight and realised it's maybe moving slightly, if at all :(

Why do you ask if the temp guage is working??? I looked at it tonight and realised it's maybe moving slightly, if at all :(

cos it could also be a dodgy thermostat or worse still....NONE fitted at all :shock: :shock: :shock: ......old bodge to hide an engine with cooling probs :shock: .........

Coolant fan works fine but havent really notice the temp gauge till tonight. I do have a pare heater matrix which came with the car as thats what the guy said it was, only i was hoping it was something easier to fix :roll: