Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

16" x 9" tyres??

g-man may be a help here im going to get a set of borbet a's in the above size my tyre supplier said that 40x205's would be too stretched and 215's would be better or possibly 205x45's any thoughts the car is lowered on coilovers and the arches are rolled having said that my 17" azevs catch occaisionally with 205 40's

Generally speaking, 205 covers 7-8", 215 does 7 - 8.5" and 225 does 7 - 9" but many people go for mega stretching without too many problems.

I reckon 215 would be the best compromise.

Hi mate,

i ran 215/40/16's on my last set of 16x9's but i thought there was too much tyre there if you know what i mean. They were stretched but there was too much profile.

I'm now running 205/40/16 nexen n3000 on my current set and i think they are a perfect size for the car. They are very stretched and low profile too.

mine are 9 x 16 et15 and the car is dropped all the way to 120mm on the back and about 100mm on the front. I had to do a lot of arch trimming as rolling wouldn't have been enough!!!!

my cars in members gallery under 'hutchy's 16v' but the pics are not very good quality.

all i can say is GOOD LUCK :)

hutchy :twisted:

also i wouldn't worry about them ' popping off ', mine get a good amount of abuse and i've never had that happen. The rim would touch the floor before the tire came off.

i have same wheels on my car with 205/40/16 tyres and the rear arches are cut out and fronts rolled i have lowered it about 65 mm and get slight rub over big holes in road haha i had a puncture and the tyre fitters had no problem fitting the tyre back on which did surprise them amazing how wide the wheels look without the tyre on ,anyway any bigger than that and i think u would have problems and the look would not be as good as with these tyres such you have such a low profile!

If you're running stupidly low then you're going to get arch rubbing what ever tyres you use.

With my 8 x 17s shod with 215x40x17 tyres with moderate 40mm lowering, I don't get any arch contact at all.....and I enjoy something called suspension travel, which means the bumps are absorbed by the struts and not the wishbone bushes which are pointing at the sky.

the tyre place said the tyre would bow in the middle causing it to wear unevenly and get poor traction dont really want to be hacking lumps out of the arches its not stupid low really perhaps 60mm lower than std at the springs id rather have more profile to have a softer ride i like the stretched on look but you dont get much protection for the rims! ill have to think about this would i get worse rubbing with the 215's as they are wider but still not as wide as the wheel? i suppose i can raise it then lower till i get problems then raise it til i dont!

Go for a 50mm drop with 215s mate.... we're talking tyres here, the most important component on the car, don't go for mega stretching. It looks gash for one thing and secondly they are not designed to be stretched to that extent. 215s are cool, your speedo will over read by 5%, but feck it :lol:

35's are gonna give a real crashy ride i want cool wheels but still be able to thrash it and not worry about denting a rim or rattling my teeth out i may just go back to the old skool and get some 15" splits then i can lower it till the handles touch the ground if the mood takes me!

you cannot expect to run a rim 3"s wider than standard without doing some work to the arch's i had to modify the rear archs and roll the fronts to get mine on and just for the record i run 205/40/16" although i will admit they are a stretch...

i was just hoping my rolled rear archer were gonna do it oh well i might wait till after xmas when i have some body work done and have the arches sorted at the same time might get them pulled out like a20lee ill stick with me azevs for now this forum could to with a chartfor wheel tyre combinations that are known to work and those which require arch mods

woo hoo im a regular now no longer a newbie :D better get spending more money then!! how come g-man you have more stars than anybody even the mods??

People that contribute to the forum upkeep automatically get 5 stars :wink:

The arch fouling boils down to two key things - ride height and offset.

As mentioned already, I run 8x17s ET35 with 215 by 40s and -40 to 45mm and don't get any rubbing at all, not even of full lock over mid-bend bumps. I need the rim protection 215s offer, I can't afford to replace £100 polished bed plates every quarter!

If you want to run -60 or lower, you're going to have to attack those arches - or go stretched.

Number of posts....Andi is the best person to speak to about that. Mods are 5 star automatically but regulars work up from CF Newbie to CF Nutter over time with post count. Forum contributors get 5 or 6 stars too...

i wouldnt say my car is stupidly low as it looks great and for the record the wheel arch rub is when i have 3 passengers on board,i can stop the wheel arch rub to a point by adjusting the tension which is done easily with the key supplied but i do have it on a softer ride as i use it everyday,i still think 215s will give you arch rub

Number of posts....Andi is the best person to speak to about that. Mods are 5 star automatically but regulars work up from CF Newbie to CF Nutter over time with post count. Forum contributors get 5 or 6 stars too...

Close, Kev,

Donators get 5 stars, subscribers (regular donators) get 6... Mods get stuck at 5 and it doesn't show if we subscribe or not... :(

Star post count scheme can be found HERE... You're only 1464 posts from being GOD Kev! :lol: :roll: