Sign in to follow this  
akacheesy

Anyone Chipped their VR6?

if so whats the best way? How much? Would ya recommend it or leave it well alone? Can ya do it yourself or are ya best gettin someone to do it? (I'm in the East Midlands if that helps)

Comments please

ta

You can expect a lighter wallet, and slightly smoother performance across the range, maybe an extra few hp here or there.

At the very least drop in a K & N panel filter and get a more free flowing stainless exhaust. Not really worth it otherwise.

East Midlands is Stealth territory, give him a call as he can do a piggy back or a rechip.....

Actually Vince steered me away from it with standard internals :?

Vince has a point. A standard VR6 gains almost nothing from a rechip (I frankly don't believe AMD's +10bhp). Part throttle response is governed by the MAF and lambda in a closed loop, the idle is governed by the idle program, and if the WOT map was so far out, you would have pinking or a dead catalyst...

If you've modified the engine, sure, a rechip can help. For example, those of us with VSR/VGI often find a bit of pinking from 3k->4k rpm where the ECU simply can't believe how much air the MAF tells it is coming into the engine, so it starts adjusting the MAF adaptation, and starts leaning down the mixture. And then you get pinking ...

And yeah, he wants to sell you a 3.1l rebore and supercharger kit first... ;)

AFAIK and don't quote me, you can't *add* advance, that's governed by the ECU's communication with the Knock sensors. So if the engine is pinking, all you can do is back the advance map off a bit, which ultimately loses you a bit of power and torque....but if the engine was pinking badly, backing off the advance upper limits can liberate more power and torque as the ECU won't throttle the ignition map so quickly.

I agree with Matt...AmD's claims are pure fantasy. View a rechip purely as a method to improve drivability by replacing VW's conservative fuelling map with a more performance orientated one.

Just waiting for Blue Nothelle (or Mat) to jump in and say I'm talking pap now :wink:

BTW, Vince won't try and sell you something you don't want 8)

I agree with Matt...AmD's claims are pure fantasy. View a rechip purely as a method to improve drivability by replacing VW's conservative fuelling map with a more performance orientated one.

Just waiting for Blue Nothelle (or Mat) to jump in and say I'm talking pap now :wink:

No Kev, for once we are in complete agreement! :)

Another chip is a waste of money. I did a dyno before chipping and after and it got me a whopping 3 hp extra.

Whoohooo... :roll:

superchips claim an extra 12+ bhp but as mentioned above, take this with a pinch of salt. I would of thought tho being a big old engine, and in comparison to how other V6's chip, the benefits would have been good, atleast better than 4cylinder cars. e.g, apparently a chipped M3 releases 15bhp, not bad for a N/A car, but when I have looked at various sites, owners are saying don't do it as the engine is highly stressed enough as it is and it will reduce engine life so maybe the same applies to a VR? I would probably just go with the VGI, zorst and filter, it is still a FWD car after all, but IMO a good suspension/brake/tyre set up is far more important on a VR. :wink:

superchips claim an extra 12+ bhp but as mentioned above, take this with a pinch of salt. I would of thought tho being a big old engine, and in comparison to how other V6's chip, the benefits would have been good, atleast better than 4cylinder cars. e.g, apparently a chipped M3 releases 15bhp, not bad for a N/A car, but when I have looked at various sites, owners are saying don't do it as the engine is highly stressed enough as it is and it will reduce engine life so maybe the same applies to a VR? I would probably just go with the VGI, zorst and filter, it is still a FWD car after all, but IMO a good suspension/brake/tyre set up is far more important on a VR. :wink: