Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Chipping a VR6?

There is loads of threads on chipping a G60, so can someone please tell me what they think the best chip is for a vr6?

So far I have a CDA filter, Carbon Direct Airfilter by BMC which is really good, now I want to progress to something a bit more technical. The car does feel quick, it still surprizes me when I hit the throttle so I figured that the chip would would make it a bit tipsy? The exhaust is still to be done.

Please let me know what order you would do it as well, I. E Chip, then exhaust or Exhaust then chip or both at the same time?

I do have some oil leaking from what I think is the head gasket, it runs down the left side of the block down past the belts and then onto the oil sump, I have been topping up the water a bit more as well recently. That would indicate that the head gasket has gone but the car feels really quick still.... Any ideas??

Take the expansion tank filler cap of and give it a sniff - if the gasket's gone you'll smell oil in the water.

More likely that the oil cooler has failed - it's not a oil/air cooler like you might expect, but an oil/water cooler (heater?) and they're prone to corroding , although that usually pushes oil into the water, rather than the other way round seeing as the oil pressure is higher than the water pressure. 'Spose you might get some seepage though from water to oil when the engine's off???

As for your tuning dilema - I'd say exhaust first then get it rolling roaded and a properly mapped chip.

where is the oil cooler on the VR6? I know that my engine does get hot, I just thought that most raddos run fairly hot.

Im sure the expansion tank looked a bit mucky but why would I have oil leaking from the side of the head? If it was the oil cooler could that solve my problem?

Please let me know as I am a little worried about my engine and if theres something I can do asap then I will try it. I dont want to have to fork out loads of money by getting my engine re built as it feels fine. Sounds good too.

on the VR6(and most other dubs i think)the oil cooler is between the block and the filter.......and one of the signs of it leaking is the expansion tank getting some oil in it

as for chipping a VR6......i had mine chipped by AmD recently and got a 14bhp and 17lb/ft increase......and a noticable improvement in the driveability...all for £250+vat

on the VR6(and most other dubs i think)the oil cooler is between the block and the filter.......and one of the signs of it leaking is the expansion tank getting some oil in it

Unless you're unlucky in which case the first sign is when it blows the cap off and makes a lovely coffee coloured oily mess all over your inner wing, the floor and everything else too... :roll: Oh, and it possibly takes your head gasket and bearings with it.... :cry:

I'm glad I got rid of my old MKII golf... Cost me a bomb just 'cos of the flipping oil cooler... :mad:

My advice?

:idea: Get the oil cooler done if you've ANY doubt about it's state... They're not expensive, are relatively easy to fit and will ease your peace of mind and could save you a lot of pain... :idea:

Fill him with confidence Henny why don't you!

My engine seaps oil from the h/gasket and it is suggested that at 100,000miles that you back off and re-torque the head as the gasket won't still be as clamped at this mileage, still I ran 75bhp of nitrous for a year and a half and run a vortech supercharger without any probs so don't flap un-neccessarily!

Chris

P.s. mine has 145,000miles and eating more each day!

Cheers Chris

I did say previously that the car still felt fine to drive, I will get the oil cooler done anyway and I will get the head re torqued and send myself down to AND for a chip.

Where did you take your car for them to torque the head bolts up? Did you changed the gasket or not? How can we tell if the gasket is ok? I guess by seeing how the car behaves once the head has been torqued up?

My car is on 93 / 4 thousand miles so nearly to the 100,000 mark. It only leaks out of the left side, everything else seems fine. Nice to read your stats with Noz and supercharger!! Your car must fly!

Fill him with confidence Henny why don't you!

P.s. mine has 145,000miles and eating more each day!

D'oh! :roll: I didn't mean for that to sound quite as scarey as it did... It was late when I wrote that... :sleeping:

VW engines are remarkably strong and reliable, I just happened to have bought a shed of a MKII golf that blew up in a pretty major way! I was trying to point out that if there's any doubt as to the integrity of your oil cooler, CHANGE IT! :lol:

Hell, My G60 has over 200K miles on it and is eating 'em up at over 400 per week! :lol: She still scares the hell outta most things that try it on, looks great (when clean! :lol:) and is as reliable as I could ever want...

VR6STORM

How long did it take AMD to rolling rd and chip? I live in Bournemouth so it will take me an hour to get there.

I will probably get ,my exhaust iin a couple of weeks and then the chip that way there wont be any problems with needing the chip re maped i suppose!

VR6STORM

How long did it take AMD to rolling rd and chip? I live in Bournemouth so it will take me an hour to get there.

I will probably get ,my exhaust iin a couple of weeks and then the chip that way there wont be any problems with needing the chip re maped i suppose!

my car was booked in for 10am and was taken in approx 9.45am........and was ready for just after 12.30pm............they let you take it for a wee spin after they've re-chipped it....so that you can see the difference its made then when you've had some fun round the block they go over the before and after figures with you.....and of course give you the bill

my only grumble about the whole experience is that they are quite busy so you can be left in the waiting room with nothing but the telly and coffe machine for company......though they did offer to give us a run to Bicester Village which is the outlet shops near to them

wicked, can you mail me there address, directions etc? If not, no worries I can check it off the net, but if you have them hanndy.....

I am looking forward to getting it done, I love speed and accleration especially when it pushes you in your seat! Cheers Storm

A re-map is not what neccessarily gains more bhp as is proven by many, however most people do say it improves power throught the rev range and more torque in mid range which is the most impressive, so drivability is the main goal.

Comments: agree/disagree?

Chris

Agree, but usually power gains are seen as a result of ironing out discrepencies in the torque/power curve. A good 'chipper' will spend many hours on the dyno trying to get all the peaks and troughs out, which on the road will improve drivability no end. People like AmD quote a 12-15bhp increase based on years of experience and I believe them.

Kev

94 VR6