Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

Opening up standard later-style 3 slat grille?

Of the 3 slats in my later style grille, only the bottom one is open (i.e. letting air into the engine bay) the middle & upper ones are completely blocked off at the back :?: :?: :?: :?: for some stupid reason. - The grille has been manufactured like this BTW, not blocked off by some other means :?

Anyone know why?

Gonna get the dremel on it anyway and open up the closed ones to get some extra cooling...

Anyone know why?

Gonna get the dremel on it anyway and open up the closed ones to get some extra cooling...

Dont know why its like that but mine was as well. I didnt open mine up but bought a new debadged one with all the slats open and ive noticed a decent drop in oil temps so go for it. Definately one of the cheapest, effective mods ive ever done. (Oil Temps dropped from average 112 to 102.)

My car does take noticably longer to warm up though so I might put the closed off grill back on for the winter.

Just had a quick look on the ETKA parts CD and there's only one grille part no. listed - thought there might be a winter/summer variant! :D :D :D

Have a look under '93 2.0 16v, mine had the same style grill with the back opened up. I did mean to swap them over but I never got round to it before the car was sold.

And is that the same part no. that is marked on the grill fitted to your car?

Theres definately a grill that comes with the slats open, I m sure I heard GPC or somewhere sell it.

Yes, mine only has the bottom slot open. Got one with all 3 open at inters but its still on top of the cupboard........

just get a new one from GPC its still an oem part too btw.........and they're only £23+vat

:oops: d'oh forgot to mention mine had the closed slat grille when i bought the car and i replaced it with the GPC "open-slatted"one

The later cars seem to have a larger radiator from what i've seen and may have different stat levels and the switches turn the fan on & off at different temps and for different durations.

Comparison between my '93 & mates '95 VR6

Chris

:oops: d'oh forgot to mention mine had the closed slat grille when i bought the car and i replaced it with the GPC "open-slatted"one

did you get it colour coded like the original storm grille?

The later cars seem to have a larger radiator from what i've seen and may have different stat levels and the switches turn the fan on & off at different temps and for different durations.

Comparison between my '93 & mates '95 VR6

Chris

Far as I know there is only one stat for the VR6 - 80 Deg C - and that's it.