Sign in to follow this  
gibber

VR6 Supercharger problems SPARK PLUG help NOW needed!

Help me please, max 1 isnt running right, after I spat the dummy last week so did my C!

Driving home it developed a miss fire but I only noticed wen I was pulling off the motorway as the exhaust was realy banging.

I popped the bonnet to find that the pipe from the Airflow meter to the TB had come off, I fastened this back on and the miss fire didnt clear completly, it is at the top end of the revs or underload.

It doesnt feel like its loosing the same cylinder, more like the feeling wen you are running out of petrol.

I have done an ECU reset, that only helped slightly.

Anyone got any ideas for me?

Not had chance to look at it yet. Start with the easy first I always say, so Im going to start with the plugs, they was changed last year and have done about 3000 hard miles.

Is there any comman faults that cause these syptoms?

Not a 1 reply thanks guys! :mad:

Anyway problem sorted, it was the plugs.

People either know the problem or they don't - there aren't a lot of supercharged VR owners on here mate! :(

I've seen the work youv'e put into this motor mate !!

And i honestly woundn't now were to start , maybe why you didn't get any reply's , not alot have done the charger thing !! :wink:

Hat's off to yeh ! :lol:

I expected at least one person to say it could be my MAF and make me think its was going to be a costly job.

The gutter is it is going to take me about 3 hours to change the plugs!

The whole chargecooling manifold has got to come off!

I was happy till you wrote apparently. you get this from vortex?

Any will run better than it is doing at the moment, need to get it sorted coz Im in need of a VR fix hehe!

Just had a quick look on vortex and most seem to be saying 1.8T / S4 plugs which are a grade colder than stock, some even saying 2 grades colder than stock, this could explain why I have burnt mine out so quickly!

Need to research!

We need more help, i got a post-it note full of plug numbers now after searching on Vortex.

Standard VR6 plug is the NGK-R BKR5EKU or BKR5EKUP (enhansed plug for 95>) with the DENSO IK16 being the Performance up grade, there is people on Vortex using DENSO IK22 (2 grades colder and a nice £10.87 a plug! :shock: )

There are people who are swearing to F6dtc's which are 1.8 16V plugs!

Then there is the Golf 1.8T BKR6ETA-10 which appears to be a grade colder than stock.

And the one for the Audi S4 turbo is the PFR6EQ again a grade colder but with resistor? :?

It's a bit confusing as VF- Engineering and AMS recommend the 1.8 16v plugs and it says in the Z-Engineering instructions that they recommend copper electrode plugs in hot countries and Bosch platinum in cooler climates. But I've read somewhere on vortex that F6 DTC's fall apart at high temperatures? Denso's are ok but are a bit pricey but I believe they do last longer. So that leaves the 1.8 T platinum plugs as a safe bet but which ones?