Sign in to follow this  
J a m e s

Hi everyone....

new to the forum looking at buying a new car, and i am thinking either the G60 or the VR6 which one would be better???

Thanks

James

Hi G60, what mods can be done to the G60 to make it quicker?

Within a budget, not thousands :D

also what do they do a 1/4 mile in?

Welcome to the group J a m e s, on behalf of the mod squad.

first thing with a G60 is to think long and hard about how far your gonna take the tunning.

Look at my G60 spec below and you can see whats been done to mine. many others have similar spec, but we are all different in some ways.

Do you want power mod or cosmetics like wheels etc or both, personally i like the stock look. keeps ppl guessing.

Anyway have a look around at some of the members cars, get some ideas, find a budget for it all, then triple it, cos your gonna add bits along the way!!

but first things first, check the charger condition and get a K&N panel filter on it to start you off.

a set of lowering springs (and shocks if they are getting old), most will drip it by about 30mm

or if you want more then your gonna need some serious coilovers really

some 17s with some good tires

and sepnd the rest on ice. sorted

im in two minds what to get as i have just sold my Turbo and the G60 seems more appealing........but not as quick as the VR6.

Seen a couple on Autotrader with alloys etc, gonna get on the blower tonight :D

G60s can romp VRs with under £500 in modifications. chip/pulley and you're pretty much up to par with a VR. air filter, exhaust, cam, ported charger, fuel pressure regulator... the VRs start to fade into the background.

stock 1/4 miles are in the high 15s i believe. you can get down into 13s with some good mods.. 12s and beyond possible with nitrous and some serious $$$.

i will be ringing the numbers tonight about the G60's on autotrader, at the moment its a decisision between a Corrado G60 or a Calibra Turbo, but the Corrado is more appealing to the eye etc, and the misses likes them.

Anything to look out for except the obvious on Corrado's?? Anyway of telling the supercharger is working ok??

Thanks for you help.

James

im in two minds what to get as i have just sold my Turbo and the G60 seems more appealing........but not as quick as the VR6.

not as quick ???? HEEEEEEELLLLLOOOOO :lol: :lol:

not as quick ???? HEEEEEEELLLLLOOOOO :lol: :lol:

going by the parkers times, says 8.7 0-60 for G60 and 6.7 for the VR6, what is the 0-60 on the G60??

My previous car (going tonight :( ) is a Punto and that was around 6.6-7secs, so i want something nearly as quick :D

Ah it's the monthly 'shall I buy a VR or a G60' thread is it?! :)

Don't fanny round with a G60, with having to get the charger serviced every 40k! Buy a VR and stick a supercharger on it!

/dons flame-suit.

I reckon theres a few G60's round here that will give your punto a good seeing to.... :lol: :lol:

vr, you shit disturber. :lol: :2gunfire: :onfire:

(what he doesn't mention is that all said and done, the vr/charger setup he proposes will end up costing you at least double including car cost and mod cost than a well-tuned G60..and the weight and weight-distribution is not as ideal as it is on the G60...if you're into cornering like a maniac)

if you want a corrado which will easily do 140+mph without doing anything to it then go for a vr6,if you want to mod it then go for a g6o,tbh i wanted a g60 first of all but there wasnt any around at the time but a vr6 popped up so i got it

I would say chosing between a VR6 and a G60 really depends on where your passion lies. Speaking from experience (I used to have a VR6 and now I have a G60) the VR6 is awesome in the way it pulls from low revs, all that power and torque is just great. However, the 'lump' up front is heavy which does require a bit more caution on cornering (although that can easily be sorted with suspension mods). If your main interest is in going out for a burn on normal 'A' roads, you mainly want straight-line acceleration and that 'back in the seat' feel then the VR6 is a great car. However, if you want to waste everything in sight (without spending a fortune) and you are more of a twisty 'B' road kinda driver then the G60 is for you.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with these comments, but thats how I feel about the C and why I decided to stick with my G60. I'm hoping to get it up to 250bhp eventually (*starry dream eyes*) but I might have to give Darren a LOT of my money to get there! The good news (for me) is that I think it would cost a great deal more to get 250bhp out of a VR6.

Bottom line - whichever car you buy you are going to love it. Just for crying out loud don't buy a Calibra!

everyone seems to split hairs about which is quicker on everyone of these topics.

they are both corrados and both quick.

the only decision is do you want to spend money modifying or are you happy with stock performance?

each has their pros and cons

at the end of the day its down to personal preference.

cheers

paul

oh yeh i'll second the not buying a calibra bit.

spoke to a car dealer friend when i was looking and he told me not to touch the 4x4 turbo with a barge pole.

there is just too much that goes wrong.

then i bought the vr.

oh yes!!!

grugh: i don't have a VR.. but i agree on the G60 bit. however, if you're looking for that low-down grunt.. a G60 is more than capable, especially with a small pulley. 62mm on a ported charger will give loads of low-end torque, just don't take it past ~6000rpm.

whatever you do.. stick with the corrado. whether its a VR or a G60 or a 16v, its a smokin ride that i'm sure you'll enjoy. :thumb right:

I have to disagree with the comment about the VR's low-down power.

I think that until you get it about about 3.5k then it lacks a little. Once you get it past this, it's when the fun begins. It's still superbly torquey and gives you lots of poke, even in 4th, for example. But just to compare my VR to my old 8v Golf, the Golf would have the VR off the line and probably all the way until the VR hits about 4k in 2nd and 3rd.