Sign in to follow this  
Neil L.

VR6 Tuning.....

Just had a RAC inspection on a proposed purchase of a 94' VR6- the tester told me he found a flat spot on acceleration but reckoned a good tune up with VW will probably cure this. The unit has only done approx. 12k - as it was a brand new engine from VW in 2003. How much would this tune - up set me back with VW. Could need new HT's or plugs etc. Could IT be a fault with the engine?

How do you "tune up" an electronically managed engine?

It's either got a faulty engine sensor or it needs new plugs/leads/coil pack ..

How do you "tune up" an electronically managed engine?

Scarcasim is the lowest form of wit !! :wink:

I don't remember trying to be witty...... ;)

Seriously though, Neil L - what sort of flat spot? VR6s have a noticeable but slight flat spot between the big torque lump at 4000->4800 rpm and the next torque lump between 5200 and 6000, it's perfectly normal. It's not much, but it's noticeable.

Cheers dr. - I think the RAC guy was over cautious as they have got to cover themselves. I might take the C to VW just to check it out (£50 inspection :( ) . The leads & plugs are fairly new - the new engine fitted 2003!

I'd get it checked with VAG.COM or take it to somewhere like Stealth Racing for a check over, Is the new engine still under warranty?

Warranty expired in Sept 2004 (1 yr.) - I dont think theres a fault with the engine - just want tobe 100% sure! Would Sinclairs(the VW dealers) be able to check the engine properly (£50 inspection charge)

VR engines can be a flat spoty if all the ancilleries aren't up to scratch, and they include MAFs, cam sensor, coil pack, plugs and leads etc etc. It's a bit of a process of elimination unfortunately, which can get quite expensive.