Sign in to follow this  
Ryan S

Buying a cheap G60

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but have been into Dubs for a few years.

With the recent death of my mk2 GTi I am in the market for a new Dub.

I'm seriously looking at getting a G60 - but cannot afford top (or even medium) dollar!

I've seen a few advertised for under £2K and was hoping to get some advise from the forum on what to look for in getting a bargain - or avoiding paying a huge maintainance bill in the first 6 months.

Obviously I've heard about the charger issue.

Am I right in thinking that mileage isn't a big problem if backed up with regular service history?

I'm after a standard car, and am led to believe that the charger should be serviced every 50K miles and that it will cost £4-500 - is this about right - or do I need to reassess my budget requirements? :?

Also I understand that there was subtle bodystyle differences introduced circa 1991/2 - what are the differences between early and later cars - is it just bonnents and grills or are there trim and interior changes too? Is this when the wheels changed from 4 to 5 studs?

Sorry for all the Q's in my first post - but I'm sure there will be more to come,

Thanks in advance,

Ryan. :wink:

Hi mate

there are lots of other isses equally as truobling with a G60 as the charger. Ive been runnig a 65mm pulley for over 12 months no issues.

things to llok out for are.

bad suspension

bad body.

broken interior parts

broken roof and spoiler.

the list goes on....

Parts are costly so is better to spend a little extra on the car than have to fix up a heap of crap.

mine was pretty good when i bought it but id still reckon on 500-1000 PA on parts to fix her up properly.

sorry

bonnet and lights changed on a N chassis i believe in 92 bonnet got ready for fitting the VR under and so went up in the middle lights became less sunk in bumper. and the grill. 5 stud was a VR thing

TBH a g60 around the 2k mark is going to need a bit of cash spending on it to get it right, most of the ones i've seen at that price have been tatty and needed the charger servicing or other things sorting out. I think your realistic options are to a) save a little more and get a good one or b) spend your 2k on a good valver as they're generally in better condition in that price range. Personally I'd hang fire and save another grand or so for a good g60.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ah, that makes sense about the bonnet + VR6 .

So were all later C's bonneted as per the VR6?

Oh, and are my assumptions about charger sefvicing and cost about right?

As this will really be the deciding factor.

I know I should really get a tidy low mileage mk2 golf GTi with the budget I'm on, but I've liked the Corrado from day one, and a G60 is v.tempting.

What are the performance differences between the other Corrado engines? (can't afford VR6) and a decent GTi?

I can't remember what size/valves they came in

1.8 16v

2.0 16v

And there was an 8v - yes?

Just read this thread - v.useful!

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5124

I've contacted a guy advertising a G60 for £1500 - but it needs a service and has no tax.

161,000 miles on a '91 reg (so must be early type bonnet etc - right?)

Is this too many miles? - It does have documented VW service history

£2K sounds quite good for a roadworthy G60 - when some Mk2 GTi's are asking that price...

161,000 miles on a '91 reg (so must be early type bonnet etc - right?)

Is this too many miles? - It does have documented VW service history

£2K sounds quite good for a roadworthy G60 - when some Mk2 GTi's are asking that price...

Not nessasarily. Mines a '91 G60, and has a late style bonnet, but early interior and bumpers. Also it only cost me £2000 and hasnt needed stupid money thrown at it, just charger rebuild and usual serviceable parts (tyres, rear suspension brake pads)

(oh and mine had done 155k when i got it, but charger and engine were spot on, no probs at all)

I would be careful when picking up a cheap car

That's why I'm asking!

Trying to make sure I've got my facts straight...

But the more homework I do - the less appealing a 'cheap' raddo seems...what the hell, I had fun in the golf - I'll probably get another... :roll:

You can get nice 16v's starting around the £1000 mark without too much trouble.. just get one of those and see if Corrado ownership is you for, and progress up to a bigger engine a little later down the line. If you don't enjoy it much you haven't spent thousands maintaining something which you end up losing a fortune on!

Hmm, the whole point of getting a C was to go G60 really.

Is there that much (or any) difference in performance between a mk2 golf valver and a Corrado 16valve?

Golf would seem to be better value for money on that score.

Are C's heavier/thirstier faster/slower than Golfs (Mk2 - couldn't face having a porky mk3!) ?

Corrados are a little heavier, and give about the same BHP, acceleration, MPG and top MPH as the MKII 16V...

The bits that Corrados kick the hell out of Golfs on are that they look and handle SOOOOOOOO much better! 8)

the 2.0 has got a cat which pretty much saps out any performance difference... :roll: It does, however, have the later body and interior and will be a lot newer than any 1.8 16V... 8)

personally i would go for a 1.8 as the only real benefit from the 2.0L is that they are likely to have less miles and later styling. Seeing as both are still considered as 'old' cars and don't differ much in way of performance, it seems pointless spending 1K more on a 2.0. Miles shouldn't be a concern if its been well looked after

Just whatever you buy, make sure its re-salable if you decide to a) get something other than a C if you feel its not for you as Jim mentioned, or b) decide to step up to either a G60 or a VR.

Hope that helps :)

Ryan S, Whichever G60 that you buy - budget approx 450 for getting the charger rebuilt. I would get the charger done straight away - regardless of how much the car costs. Just because some G60's cost more than others is no reflection on the supercharger condition.

Unless the suspension has been renewed within the last 5 years or so, it is likely to be worn. New bush kits are cheap enough - we sell full poly bush kits for around £50'ish. They're just as good as the more expensive ones - I've fitted full kits onto 2 G60's now & I can fully recommend them. Shock absorbers aren't too expensive either.

Main things to watch for are the potentially expensive ones - unexplained engine noises, dodgy exhaust & bad bodywork are the most important. Look at the brakes too - these also may need replacing. Again, that's down to each individual car & not usually reflected in the purchase price. Oil leaks are usually cheap to fix, but sometimes expensive depending on exactly what's leaking.

HTH

Thanks for all the info guys...

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled - never know what might turn up after chrimo.... :-P