Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Man it must be cold out there!!!!

Was heading out to work tonight and started to panic a little as my analogue temperature guage didn't move :? There is a pic attached but the panic is over as when I got home I let the car sit for a while and the guage moved as normal. So it would seem that it's so cold out there that the coolant didn't have time (was only a 15 minute drive) to heat up above 70degrees or to even move of the resting needle. Anyone else heard of or experienced this?

Kinda annoying having an oil cooler when its this cold.. it takes about 20mins for my oil temps to get to 80 C. I'm actually tempted to cover it up... suppose its a good thing tho, as it means I'm discouraged to drive fast in this weather :|

Your thermostat is stuck open. Replace it. The water will heat up significantly quicker than the oil, if all is working as it should.

Your thermostat is stuck open. Replace it. The water will heat up significantly quicker than the oil, if all is working as it should.

:( bugger. not what I wanted to hear. Would that be the one on the bottom right of the rad?

Not sure where it is on the G60, maybe one of the G60 boys can help you out.

I doubt it's an expensive part, honestly, even if you replace the housing too you'll get change from £35..

But it would be generally better if your engine got up to temperature properly!

its an easy job just whip the pas pump bracket off and undo two bolts on the thermostat cover but more than likely it will be your temp sender they are so temperamental.

just to confirm biggrim, you havn`t got an oil cooler!

OT - my mocal doesn`t have a thermostatic sandwich plate, it was bought from stealth and they said that they are no longer putting thermostats in the cooler kits!

and it does take longer to heat up when the air temp is cold!

agree though that oil@74 and coolant needle not moving is a bit strange.... although i`ve got no idea