Sign in to follow this  
VEEDUBBED

VR6 Pistons,G60 Block/16v Head

Hello again corrado lovers,I'm in need of advice.I've built a Turbocharged (Garret T35) 'PG' Block Engine,adding also a 'KR' 16 Valve Head,Weber/IAW Injection with twin Map Sensors,Modified Cams,Golf Tdi Tranny,8 '803' Green Fuel Injectors,Pectal board,etc,etc.When my Car was running 1,9 Bar Turbo pressure I can safely say It was quite an animal.The problem is that i've blown 2 Pistons and possibly damaged the Cyl Block,I've got hundreds of spares,including 4 spare 16v Pistons,8 spare G60 pistons,rods,blocks,Cranks,dozens of 16v cams, G60Cams.etc,etc,but I've also got a complet VR6 Engine with only 29000km's on the clock thats been in my Garage for the past 11 years now, what i'd like to know is the CC of the VR6 Pistons and 16v Head in order to work-out the Comp. Ratio of my 5th Engine,G60 Pistons+16v Head+Turbo(big)=MAJOR lag,while using 16v Pistons=broken Rings 'cos Fuel gets trapped at edges of Piston causing Detonation.Now i'd like to try the Vr6 ones.Sorry for the long Post,it's not every day I get to speak my own Lingo with English Dubbers., not many over here in Rome...

Im guessing you'll be needing forged G60 pistons, as the standard ones arnt up to it.

How big is your intercooler? have you thought of water injection to cool it down a bit?

not sure about using VR pistons, but i know audi S2 pistons work well, you can normally pick these up off german ebay.

with 16v pistons the compression is too high for FI and g60 ones are too low with a 16v head

Why not just use the VR6 engine as it stands? Build the turbo onto that and run some slightly less aggressive management. Should last a lot longer, theoretically...

1.9 bar! Sheesh... how come you blew the pistons? Did it run lean at the top end? Using the VR6 engine could be a plan as Matt suggested but it depends if you're inclined to fitting it into your car or not....and it's very expensive to turbocharge.

Hello everyone, Here are a few answers to your questions, I can't fit the VR6 because of the crap Italian law,cos if the Italian old bill pull you with a Modded Motor,you risk a 350 Euro fine+instant confiscation of my beloved Corrado...,Belive me, i've thought many times of risking it,seeing as the Engine has only 29000km and also,every single part of my mates illfated Corrado was given to me FOC!.Anyway i decided to take out the VR's Pistons to see if they could be used for my next Engine,I personally think that these pistons look very good,i'll have to modify the 16v's Rods 'coz there sligtly wider on the small end. The ringlands should hold 1.2, 1.5Bar with spot-on tuning.By the way, does anybody know were i could get a PG or KR Block Deck plate for Honing from???.The Intercooler was lifted from an Iveco Daily TD Van,more or less the same size as a mitsi Evo one,Turbo A/R= .63 .60,Injection lifted from a Lancia Delta Evo 16 Turbo, common as chips here in Rome,bit like the various Cosworths in England.