Sign in to follow this  
robbo101

BOO my VR6 is broken

My vr6 broke down this mornin. :( :( :(

I have been advised that it is the fuel pump. (see my wanted ad if you have one)

But can I test the one in my car.

The car just stalled this morning as I was driving it at 60mph engine turns over but will not start. I would have thought that I would have noticed it juddering before it cut out but it was like a had just turned off the ignition. I have been told that this is because of the system is pressurised so if the pump stops it will cut out straight away. Is this true?

I have removed the inspection plate in the boot and tested the pump for power. It only gives a reading when the engine is cranked not with just the ignition switched on. So i removed relay 12 and shorted across the the power to the fuel pump to see if this made a difference but still nothing cannot hear pump.

I then removed the fuel lines from the inlet monifold to see if any petrol was comming out but nothing.I tried it with both shorted relay and relay put back in a cranking the engine.

Is there anything else i should try before getting a new one. Also does anyone know what else the pump was fitted to incase I can find one from a brakers.

Cheers

Robbo

I dont think the fuel pump would be on the same fuse as the spoiler, refer to the owners handbook.

Firstly, you want to see whether your getting a supply of power to the fuel pump, when the ignition is switched on there should be a short feed usually about 3 seconds to prime the fuel pump, once the car is running the fuel will be operating constantly.

Try feeding a live to the fuel pump from an amp if you have one or the rear light switch if you can hear it then its working ok and theres a problem in the feed.

What do mean about the short relay?

Does your car have an alarm or immobiliser fitted?

The pump should only get power for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on, then when cranking. Definately sounds like a dead pump to me.

I shorted across the relay between the 2 points with wire so i had a constant 12V feed to the fuel pump which I mesured at the electrical connector on the pump. But still nothing, no petrol comming out the fuel lines ad they were disconected and could not hear the pump running.

I dont think the fuel pump would be on the same fuse as the spoiler, refer to the owners handbook.

surprisingly enough......on the VR (at least) it is :roll: :twisted:

Just to confuse things thats the later style pump and will require the later style fuel gauge sender.

Not sure when the pumps changed over so havent got a clue what one yours will have robbo101.

The earlier style pump is the same as the one used in the g60.