Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Hand Brake Problem

The 1st few clicks on the hand brake have gone a bit loose, then it as as you keep pulling it up it bites like normal.

Anyone know why the 1st few clicks have gone loose? I want to sort this encase it gets worse.

Cheers

Dan

your rear calipers could be sticking... It's worth having a look to make sure that the cams are turning all the way back to the stops properly when the handbrake is released and cleaning 'em up if they're not to try and stop 'em seizing up completely.... :|

If you do a search you can find threads about the plate that the handbrake is attched to shearing away. This is a common problem.

You need to remove the handbrake and have this welded back down. I did mine a few weeks back.

Ive just done a search on rear caliper and handbrake rising more than it used to and I ended up here

it was fixed last time it was in but returned to this again after a few weeks

Have you sussed it yet dan ?

I found the cable to be fine. I adjusted it, and it was working fine for about 2 weeks. At the weekend it started to get worse again, so I tried adjusting it again, but this time with no luck.

When you pull the handbrake up, it feels as though it's as normal, stiff & goes up a couple of clips, but it's not bighting well at all. I can move the car by pushing it with the handbrake on fully!!!

Am I looking at replacing the callipers? Garage said that's what I'm looking at.

We have the same problem

Its a mk4 upgrade,Ive sorted the Steel braided conversion hoses,cant decide on £60+ for 2nd hand for two or £70 each ish for new ones