Sign in to follow this  
Majik

Rear brake replacement

I'm going to change the rear pads/discs/handbrake cables on my car

(1991 g60 non abs) what parts do i need and wheres the best place to get them, dealer ecp, gsf?

Also i've never done rear brakes o a VW before so i believe the disc also has the wheel bearing as part of it, what the procedure to remove it? are there any potential problems i may incurr?

Its probably simple enought, just dont want to get caught out on a sunday when i attempt to do it

Majik, don't re-use the rear bearings, they're cheap enough that you can replace 'em when you do the disks... 8) Make sure you've got some good quality grease handy to lube up the bearings, and copperslip to do the edges of the new pads to stop squeeling... ;)

cheers guys, i've got access to the caliper winding tool and was planning to get the whole bits from GSF, is the hub nut torqued up or does it have a pin split pin going through?

split pin and castlated cap. Don't overtighten the nut though else you'll cook the bearing! Also, don't forget to re-check it about a week after doing them so that you know they're not too tight/loose... 8)

AND a hex drive to get the b****y caliper carrier bolts out - and 4 new ones to refit cos that's always a good idea.

Finally got round to doing this job yesturday, The discs went on no probs but the caliper wasnt fitting when both new pards were fitted. I winded the caliper all the way back on both sides but it seemed impossible, so i had to re-use one old pad untill i get this sorted.

I bought rear brembo discs and pagid pads can anyone confirm the part numbers for these?

I'm going to change my rear disks. They have to be drilled to match the front. Rather than pay £90 for drilled disks i'm thinking about buying bremo's from GSF for £15 ea and drilling them myself. Anyone think of a reason not to do it?

I personally wouldn't recommend drilling the rear disks you might weaken the structure, but then again theres not alot of pressure on them.

Are you thinking of drilling them urself or a machining company to do them

I personally wouldn't recommend drilling the rear disks you might weaken the structure, but then again theres not alot of pressure on them.

my dad has an engineering company. Trying to establish if manufactured drilled disks are just the same as a solid disk and just drilled?

ive got a mate who builds weird and wonderful cars volvos with huge engines and the like hes a bit weird!! and he always buys standard disks and drills them he has a phd in metal science or something like that so im sure its a safe practice

my dad has an engineering company. Trying to establish if manufactured drilled disks are just the same as a solid disk and just drilled?

Holes drilled after the rotor is already cast will sometimes cause cracks to come from the drilled holes. Porsche uses rotors that have the holes already cast in them.

To answer your question...the rears are the same. There is a place out here that will drill the rotors for 30 dollars each.

To answer your question...the rears are the same. There is a place out here that will drill the rotors for 30 dollars each.

Cool, GSF it is. Machining centre here i come.