adambob

Shrick VGI Issues...

Taxi to Stealth it may well be.....

I'm just hoping it's the CPS / tooth mis-timing.

Keep those fingers crossed for me lads - I'll need it.

Cheers again to everyone for their advice.

Could be that, but I was thinking 3 litres of oil per month is a bit on the heavy side for valve guide wear. Depends what mileage the engine is on I suppose and also what grade of oil is being used.

I agree, but at this point there's no need to scare the living daylights out of the original poster until we know more!! :)

Unless it's on 180k miles and using 5w30 fully synthetic I'd be appalled at 3 litres/month consumption. But hey, it saves you having oil changes, as you've effectively changed 87% of your oil every three months anyway!!!

Dr_Mat - IRONY detected and appreciated!

Good luck Adam and don't take any notice of Dr Meldrew!

I was merely preparing you for the worst case scenario. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

The latest......(I'm slowly losing my mind on this one. )

Tuesday - Week 2

It's apparently mechanically perfect. The cylinder valves were checked and they were fine. The CPS was checked. The wiring from the CPS was checked. The list of what's working correctly goes on....

BUT IT STILL LOSES POWER AROUND THE 4000RPM MARK!! :onfire:

They're stuck for ideas and i'm scr3wed if i know what they should do next.

I'm losing sleep now over the inevitable labour charge - can someone please help so i can RIP......

Cheers

call trading standards... If it wasn't this bad before it went in, and they now can't get it back to how it was, then they've screwed something up and should fix it without charging you for their mistake... ;)

Oh, and get it stuck on to a VAG-COM machine to see what the ECU is saying... ;)

Man, this is driving me up the wall. I'm so grateful that they did a rolling road before hand as this has provided me with the evidence that there were no issues before they started messing around.

I reckon that the guy who is reprogramming it has balls'd it up - it must be an ECU / electronic issue. What does re-programming entail? do they delete the existing program and start from scratch? or do they just modify?

Help!

Reprogramming on the VR6 involves removing the ECU, unsoldering the onboard Chip, soldering in a chip holder and then programming a new chip for said holder. So yes, your original map has gone to heaven but any good remapper would take an image of your current map first. Ask them if the OE parameters are stored anywhere to revert back to.

When the engine loses power at 4000 rpm, does it climb again. Have they got the dyno plots you can look at? At 4000 rpm, there'll be a big trough as the VGI changes over, but does it climb out again and continue up at 45 degrees?

If it does, that's what the VGI does anyway as we've discussed.

If it doesn't, there's something seriously wrong. They say they checked the Cam sensor wiring but did they confirm the sensor itself is OK?

Kev - yes, they checked the cam sensor wiring. And they checked the timing as well as suggested by Dr_mat aka basil_fawlty.

The power doesn't pick up after 4000RPM.

I haven't seen the dyno plots yet but I have been assured that they do exist....unless of course the "dubsport dog" has eaten them......

I'm just hoping they kept a copy of the old map.

Does it sound like an ECU issue?

Wayne's remapping it? It's not a problem with the map then... if it's Wayne Schofield then he's god when it comes to mapping cars... 8)

He'll also have kept a copy of the original map and will also have several other maps he's done for other Corrados (mine included, although that's a G60! :lol: ) so if they can't get it back how it was, then it's Dubsport who's screwed something up... :|

Adam can you be sure on the cams and the shrick you sourced, were they second hand and was there any documentation ? What were they described as by the seller? Seems a possible variable now in light of the other checks.

Hi Gareth - Dubsport confirmed that the schrick and cams were fine. They have reverted back to the stock configuration and it's still not running right. It must be an ECU issue if everything else is now stock......

The kit was second hand and i did get some documentation - the guys seemed pretty straight and they delivered the goods promptly.

The issue lies with something else though and no one has a bl00dy clue as to what it could be - Geoff is apparently scratching his head :scratch: i'm lead to believe that this doesn't happen too often.

The latest...

Week 2 - Wednesday (after having dropped the car off on Thursday 13th Jan....)

They have detected a crack in the solenoid - this was the only information i was given as the guy on the phone was mechanically illiterate. Any ideas what he was referring to as i'm equally mechanically illiterate?!

ECU?......... :scratch:

They could possibly mean the schrick controller solenoid, or the vacuum valve on the manifold itself.

It is pointing to the flap not opening at 4000 rpm but they could easily have checked the operation of all the schrick components in a matter of minutes :roll:

But they've gone back to the "original configuration" so the Schrick isn't implicated any more.. Unless they've got the Schrick back on now..

But if that's the case then why did the car produce 170bhp when they reverted back to the stock manifold and cams?

The car will apparently be ready tonight........

You want me you meet you there when you pick it up, I only live round the corner? Coz them buggers wont catch up after you read the bill and faint!

They will have made this out to be all your fault you know!