Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

New suspension set-up

Hey all,

I am also thinking about buying a new suspension set-up soon, however, I have got a really good price for FK Coilovers. There are 4 different types and are as follows:

FK AK coilovers: £299 inc. delivery

FK Highsport coilovers: £389 inc. delivery

FK Konigsport coilovers: £529 inc. delivery

FK Silverline coilovers (as Konigsport but silver-plated body): £599 inc. delivery

These are all non-discounted prices, maybe could get some more discount if people were interested in a group-buy? What I really want to know is though, I personally am interested in what would give the best handling for the cash?

If it was coilovers I would be tempted by the FK Highsport option as 35 mm lowered as standard, 30 % uprated damping and height-adjustable from 30-120 mm. The FK Konigsport ones are exactly the same as FK Highsport but are also damping adjustable, but cost another £140.

However, I have heard that a another option which actually gives better ride-quality and handling than ANY coilover set-up is to use FK Koni-tec kits (£349 delivered) which use FK Hightec lowered springs and Koni adjustable shocks, in combination with an Eibach Anti-rollbar kit and Powerflex polybushes (total cost is £349 + £149 + £75 = £573)

Now is it worth paying the extra £44 for this non-coilover set-up or is it better just to go with the FK Konigsport or Highsport set-up ? Has anyone used the non-coilover set-up (poss kevhaywire ?) and what do they think of it, whats the ride and handling like / compared to coilovers etc ?

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

ive recently fitted the ak coilovers on my c.rides very well. however i dont think thers enough drop on the rears if you want to go really low.

they are progressive springs on plated threads.

the ride is alot better than the slightly more expensive supersports i had on my mk2 vr.

i had konigsport on my mk1 cabby and can hardly notice the difference between them and the new ak's.maybe cos i had them set quite soft.

As you saw in the other konigsport thread I used to have some kind of Eibach spring, Koni shocks setup with Eibach ARB's and an OMP strutbrace - however this was on the car when I bought it so I don't know the exact details... I'll try find out more information, I'm sure I'll have receipts for it somewhere.

This was an excellent setup in my opinion, the ride was very smooth yet firm, although you could still tell it was a lowered car when on rough roads, and the handling was great, felt very solid and controllable... perhaps could have been a tad less roll for me, but the only reason I changed is because I wanted to make the car lower (it was lowered about 40mm).

But it also depends on your application... I never drove my car on a track... although it would appear someone did :?

DSCF0076.jpeg

...and it looks although the cars doing quite well for itself :lol: anyway my point being that I couldn't tell you how this setup did on the track.

The new ride with the Konigsports at the same height (still with the Eibach ARB's and OMP strutbrace) isn't as good atm (a bit bouncy)... to be fair I'm sure they need time to settle in and get set up properly, so I will post again when I've found my optimum setting, and done a few more miles on them :wink:

Kevhaywire,

Do you have any thoughts on this ? How does your suspension set-up compare to coilovers which you must have experienced on a C ?

Just that I would rather go for better handlind and control / comfort rather than just getting coilovers because they are height adjustable. I would like my C to be low but not ground scrapingingly so and would prefer to be able to adjust the damping rather than just the height as with the FK Highsport option or pay the asking price for FK Konigsports. However, if the Koni TA's, Neuspeed ARB's and Powerflex pushes option would be better then I feel the slight extra cash would be justified even though this set-up would not allow the ride-height to be adjusted,

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

the real reason for coilovers is not to adjust the height its so as the car can be set up exactlly as needed via corner weighting this in my experiance is the best thing and will totally improve the handling / steering weight / ride of any car out there well worth the money in getting this carried out correctlly.

Hey all,

I am also thinking about buying a new suspension set-up soon, however, I have got a really good price for FK Coilovers. There are 4 different types and are as follows:

FK AK coilovers: £299 inc. delivery

FK Highsport coilovers: £389 inc. delivery

FK Konigsport coilovers: £529 inc. delivery

FK Silverline coilovers (as Konigsport but silver-plated body): £599 inc. delivery

With the prices above, if you are looking at the Silverlines - These are not silver plated but hand polished stainless steel. However the ones you have listed are the ss version of the highsports. I have just fitted a set of FK silverline X which are ss versions of konigsports but are around £740 per set!!! :shock:

I'm in the same dilema as you BigEastsideVWG60, not sure what to go for, but i have decided if its gonna be coilovers than they're gonna have to be damping adjustable. I was all set to get Koni Shocks with H&R springs (which is what Kevhaywire has) because they have alot of good feedback, Stealth Racing recommend them.Supercharged is running this set up on his G60, you're better off asking him, he has said they're worth the ££. The thing is, i want to improve the handling,that is the whole point, but, i do want to get my C looking good too,so being able to adjust the height is a deffo bonus,it will annoy me if it sits too high or low, want to get it just right and experiment with it.

I've asked on here about the Konigsports and people have rated them highly but most people have them on VR6's, havn't read any feedback for them on a G60, which (i think)is a different ball game?? I had decided to go with them cos they are a Koni T/A shock after all AND you can tweak the height (i think 'VR6' said that he didn't move them for 6 months and they didn't seaze up at all) but now i've seen the KW's!!, they do 3 versions, all of which are rust proof, the V3's look amazing, surely with all that adjustment you're gonna get it right !! Take a look......

http://www.kw-suspension.de/e_version/g ... ianten.php

Kevhaywire,

Do you have any thoughts on this ? How does your suspension set-up compare to coilovers which you must have experienced on a C ?

Historically I was never a lover of coilovers. They are usually too uncompromising for my liking....but my opinion of them changed when I drove VR6's VR which has FK Konigsports on it. Considering how sh1t the roads are on the Isle of Man, I was pleasantly surprised by the bump absorbtion and body control. They were still a bit firm and bouncey for my liking but they highlighted how far coilovers have come over the years.

I've used Konis and H&Rs for as long as I can remember and is my favoured approach. I don't know what it is about that combo but it's almost as if they were made for eachother. Damping and spring rates are perfect. I've driven around Glasgow and Newcastle on this setup and the pot holed glaswegian roads (especially the main highstreets where the SunAlliance building is, St Vincent House is it?) proved no problem at all as far as ride comfort goes.

If you want ride height adjustment, go for decent coillies but if you're happy with a fixed ride go with normal mcphersons and springs, which can be lowered with spring caps etc at a later date if required.

On the ARB front, I'd use a Neuspeed rear and keep the stock front one.

A pair of ARBs increases the spring rate too much and makes the ride bouncey and fidgety.

Powerflex - just do the front cross member and steering rack ones and replace the other bushes with new VAG ones.

Everybody that's been in or driven my car has been very impressed with the handling and ride comfort, even with the 17s, and that's all I can say really.

Cheers

K