Sign in to follow this  
bs-racing

coilovers how much can i lower them

thinkin of gettin a set of coilovers, its betwwen sf at £399 or avo`s at £550, just wondering how much i can lower them by, iam wanting to deck her, so iam wantin the lowest possible,

what the lowest roado on here?

Roddy's is pretty low now.. he dropped his car about 65mm all-round.

You can check out a bunch of photo's to see what you think over in this thread.

Though there are a lot of things to take into consideration when decking a Corrado.. ask some of the 'low' owners on here and see what kind of damage they have had done. I personally would drop my car no more than about 20 or 30mm - it looks spot on, and should keep the car relatively unscathed.

Mines decked about 65 mm - check my homepage for pictures.

I'm not sure which model you have, as this can make a difference to how much you can get away with. You may run into problems with the VR6 with the sump hitting speed bumps or steep ramps if you lower it past about 50 mm - maybe someone else can comment on this as I have got a 16V.

The problems I have had are the following:

Front wheel catches the inner arch on full lock - not a major problem, some people even remove the plastic inner arch trim to get round this - but this may leave you more prone to the dredded tin worm.

Front spoiler (deep 90 mm one) will catch on speed bumps. I replaced mine with a 50 mm one (later spec item).

You may need spacers on the rear wheels to stop the spring seat making contact with the inner wheel or tyre - but this may depend on the offset of your wheels or type of coilovers used. I've used 6 mm spacers and now it's fine.

If you have a big bore exhaust this may start hitting the rear axle if you go too low :mad: - very annoying, but I solved this problem by cable-tying a piece of rubber to the axle under the exhaust.

No other problems really - apart from slightly worse tramlining on some roads.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

all depends on what offset/size wheels you are using on your c..

this was mine when i had 7 1/2 - 17" et35mm rims...

If you have a big bore exhaust this may start hitting the rear axle if you go too low - very annoying, but I solved this problem by cable-tying a piece of rubber to the axle under the exhaust.

I did this too. Funny smell of burning rubber lead me to quickly remove it again!!!! :shock:

Avo's are horrifically over-damped for road use - very harsh ride to the point where your car starts to rattle and creak.

Buy some Koni's or FKs.

Yeah go for the FKs (konigsports) - They are very good IMO, and lifetime warranty on the dampers which is worth having.

You may be able to get a good deal on these at Yaash Motorsport http://www.yaash.co.uk

Cheer

Mark

you need to grease up the threads on the avo's or they will rust to shit and seize.

my car is pretty low... don't know how much but i'm guessing around 80mm. you can definitely notice extra wear. i was just in another '90 G60 on friday, he has his share of problems, but not as many creaks as my car. my car isn't bad or anything, just very stiff and so there are a few rattles. i need new struts though.

also, the PO smashed in the piece under the lower rad support pretty good, goin over speed bumps i guess, dunno what that piece is called. just bought a new one from that other '90 G60 guy on friday. oil pan has a few dings. i've knocked the exhaust off going through some unavoidable road construction.

even with the front bumper off they can't tow it...

all said, i wouldn't raise it one bit by choice (the new struts will probably raise it a little and there is nothin i can do about that).. corrados look dumb so high up. they look best when dropped at least 60mm IMHO. with proper suspension the handling will be just as good, if not better, then at 30mm low.

What sort of angle are your driveshafts at with a drop like that?

Bit difficult to tell really, because the car is so low :lol: - but I had a quick look this morning and they looked almost straight, possibly a couple of degrees pointing upwards (from diff to wheel). Yes, I know the arguments for 'going past the parallel postion' on the driveshafts, but the handling seems fine to me :D

Cheers

Mark