Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Help with ABS fault code

Just checked my postings of a while ago and it was relay 79 that threw up power B+. There are other 179 relays in the car if you want to check that one but I could only find the one 79 so couldn't swap to see if it cured things. A new 79 will do it!!

Picked up relay 79 today, just fitted it, cleared the fault code and it has NOT cured my problem. Is there something else I should be doing to clear the code?

Any ideas?

Fed up now :( :( :( :(

I've cleaned all the battery terminals. I found some corrosion on the ABS controller connector where moisture had got in so I've cleaned the connector and controller contacts. I also found a blown 30amp fuse next to relay 79 but I'm not sure if this has blown this morning during my investigations so I've changed that. I've checked fuse no 4 in the fuse box and this is ok.

Needless to say I've still got the ABS light on :(

Do you think the stealer could have given me a faulty relay? When I turn the ignition on I can hear clicking from the relay.

MOT is looming next month so I need to get this sorted.

I would doubt if the relay is faulty but you never know .

Does the ABS light go out when you start up and come on when you start moving?

The light comes on when starting and stays on.

That's what mine was doing at first then it started going out when started up and just coming on when you started moving (when the ABS pump kicked in).I'm not sure what else to suggest checking really :roll:

Am I right in saying when there are no faults with the ABS the light will go out but the fault codes are still retained.

I don't need to clear the codes with VAG-COM to extinguish the light???

don't need to clear the codes with VAG-COM to extinguish the light???

No thats right...

Not sure if your will retain fault codes or not, my G60 does but it's a late one...

The 16v won't remember the codes, afaik. There's no "memory" in the ECU.

It completely reinitialises fresh each time you turn the ignition on.

Washed the car and dried it off yesterday. Then I started it up and the ABS light went out :? Turned it off then started again and the lght stayed on :?

A couple of hours later went out in the car and the light stayed on, stopped the car to visit the shop, got back in, started it up and the light went out :?

This morning the light came on and stayed on.

From this I think I have a loose connection somewhere relating to the power supply to the ABS system. Anyone know where the ABS earth connection is?

I noticed some earth connection's close to the ABS ecu the other day when i had the kick panel off maybe worth checking those.

Ok I think I have found my ABS problem - well sort of. I knew I had a bad connection somewhere so I wiggled (non-technical :lol: ) the cables at the back of the relays and surprise surprise the light went out. Turned engine on and off about 5 times and the light has stayed off :D

I'm disappointed that I couldn't find the problem for sure and fix it. It may come back again some day. When it does I'll get my wiggling finger out :lol:

A quick thanks to all that gave advice.

Cheers

Dave

..........aaarrrrggghhh, the friggin light has come back on.

I've pulled the wires and relay holders down from behind the glove box for a closer inspection but they look ok. Relay 79 clicks when turning ignition on and then clicks again when the engine has fired up. Should the relay click the second time? Does this mean the ABS switches off after the engine has fired up?

Could the ABS controller be at fault?

1 week left to MOT.............

The light comes back on when you turn the ignition switch to the "start" position, temporarily, so obviously the power to the ABS controller is momentarily cut to allow as much current as possible to be dedicated to the starter.

Bad news..............

I've changed the ABS controller today and still the light refuses to extinguish. It was a used controller so there is a chance it could be faulty but I've been assured it's ok.

I'm clean out of ideas........can anyone help?

I paid an auto electrician to check out the ABS system and was told it was the controller. I think I'll have another word with him.

BTW new controllers are £540 + vat.

This is just never ending :roll:

You're right that it's highly unlikely to be TWO ABS controllers that are faulty, in the same way (they both showing the same error code)?

It's much more likely to be the pump/valve unit. Much more expensive (though I found a web site indicating that many of these were failing "early" and offering recon units at a shade under 500 notes).

Hold on, I'm talking crapola again - you said you'd got B12+ voltage issues, not valve issues...? Right well it's gotta be wiring/relays/fuses/earthing then.

Yeah both controllers showing the same fault code of B+ power supply.

I'll be on the phone to the auto electrician again in the morning.

Cheers

Dave,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? It's just struck me.............

Cheers

Ollie

Ollie,

Yes and no. The light started to go out intermittently when I started garaging the car. Maybe a moisture problem drying out as I have had a leak onto the controller connector. Changed the fan inlet seal now so don't have a leak.

I say yes because when the car has run for maybe 20mins+ then I turn off, then back on the light goes out everytime. I suspect there is a dodgy connection in the controller. I'll leave it until near MOT time.