Sign in to follow this  
tattyrado

can I add ABS to a 91 G60

Excuse my mechanical ignorance but is it possiable (and viable) to add ABS to my 91 G60? I've just rear ended a metro after locking up and want to try and prevent this happening again.

Incidentally it put a massive crease in the back of the metro's shell and killed the bumper, but not a trace of damage to the rado, not a trace!

Like all things this is a possible conversion, but one might also cosider to be economically unviable. The works involved are extensive and extremely intrusive. It would involve installation of ABS Pump, ABS Servo, Brake reservoir and hydraulic fluid feeds, Additional hydraulic pipework from pump, ABS sensor rings at all four wheels, ABS sensors x 4, ABS ECU and wiring loom. Add all this up and the parts even second hand are alot, now add the labour given that you are not doing the install and i think you might prefer to learn the pre ABS art of cadence braking!

G60's from 92 are supposed to have abs, but my 92 doesnt have it!

its not worth the hassle i looked into it, just get your suspension/brakes/tyres as good as you can and that will be bettler unless you are driving like a maniac :lol:

basil_fawlty, (Dr_Mat) my new Grey G60 doesn't have ABS either... I thought that all G60s had ABS until I bought one that didn't! I've gotta say though that I reckon the non ABS brakes are a damn sight better than the ABS ones I had on J-DUB before I brembo'd her... No idea why though... :| :? Can't wait to see what she's like when I DO add the brembos though! :twisted: :lol:

G60's from 92 model year had ABS as standard, there are alot of Corrados out there that are pre 92 model year cars, in factory build terms, but were first registered in 1992 in the UK. Old stock registered late in short.

ABS was meant to be standard on all RHD G60's but they had supply problems so it became on optional extra, I'm fairly sure all the late cars had it as standard.

Just learn to pump the brake pedal instead of slamming it on, doesnt work as well but does help. I once rear ended a metro due to a tractor with no lights on (long story), the metro had no back end at all, it started where the rear wheels where. I had to replace bonnet, bumper, drivers wing and light.

VW = tank :)