Sign in to follow this  
Just 1.8 16V

Dr Clutch??

Has anyone got a lot of experiance with clutches? Had my 1.8 16 Valver for about 6 years now and its always had this problem that the clutch tends to be a lot more 'juddery' when the engine is quite hot, the cooling fan comes on and it tends to improve. I change the brake fluid every 2 years and fully bleed the system but it always does it. Perhaps the clutch plate has just been on the way out for a long time, but it never slips/spins the clutch once engaged. Ive thought about changing the slave cylinder, but its quite expensive when its probably just the clutch plate disc.

Anyone had a similar experiance?

Are the clutch disc's hard to do on the Valver's??

Cheers

clutch is a 3 piece kit on ALL corrados (unless it's different in some of the 4x4 ones people are building... :p ) and you need to change all 3 parts when you change the clutch...

It's pretty much the same amount of a pain in the ass to do the clutch on any corrado as the gearbox has to some out to do it, so a decent garage is needed with either a pit or a set of ramps... Shouldn't take more than 2 hours to do though, and the clutch kits cost £83 from Euro car parts for a Sachs one... 8)

here are a few pics of a broken one.....although this isnt the way that they normally fail!

pressureplate.jpg

frictionplate.jpg

One of the pairs of dampening springs have burst out of the friction plate, so clutch wasnt too happy with the idea of disengauging.

What is happening to your clutch does sound familiar, although my golf only did it for a matter of a few months, not for 6 years! If the friction plate material wears really thin, the bolts/rivits that are on the friction disc can swell up when they get hot, and stopped the clutch realeasing 100%.

exactly the same thing happened to my clutch a few months ago!!!

allthough yours looks newer than mine, it used to feel like there was a lot of slack in the drivetrain before it failed and juddered like hell.

mine failed in heavy traffic on the motorway which wasnt good fun :(

Replacing the slave cylinder won't help the juddering, the only thing to do is replace the whole kit, and while the gearbox is out make sure that the crankshaft seal on the engine or the spigot shaft seal on the gearbox aren't leaking and allowing oil onto the clutch as this could be causing your juddering problem.

@Henny 2 hours to do a clutch? I've never done one in a corrado but with most cars it's at least 4-5

yeah, if you're on a good set of garage ramps, I've done one on both my old 1.8 16V and my G60 in about 2 hours (although it does require 2 people to lift it out and then back in again... :| )

my record for my mk1 8v was 50 mins from opening the garage doors to having the gearbox in my hand.

one night i started at 10 o clock, got the new clutch on and all together by 1 o clock, only to find that the long push rod was on the floor next to me.

i wanted to cry.

theRuler, been there, seen that, done the same, dented the front wing in frustration and then was even more angry with myself for denting a perfectly good panel... :oops: :roll: :lol:

one morning my 309 GTI wouldnt start. in a rage i punched the windscreen.

and it split into about 10 pieces.

i didnt have windscreen cover. cost me 160 pounds to have it replaced.