Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Im sure its a coolant leak but where from?

I drove to Kent for the weekend and I didnt drive the car for 1 day and in the morning there was a fairly large patch of something under my car.

I tasted the stuff and it was like coolant, I stuck my hand under the engine and it was dripping onto my hand. The drip was fairly regular and I had to be on my way back to bournemouth so I drove to Quick fir - that was the only place open on a sunday . Before I left I toped up the expansion tank as that was really low and put the car on the ramp.

The leak had stopped so I figured that when the engine is running the pressure stops the leak, could it be an o ring or something? The mechanic if he can call himself that said it could be the water union o ring that is leaking? Could anyone back that idea up?

It was from near the thermostat I am told, the drips were landing near or just below and to front engine mount and all the hoses look ok.

I need to get this sorted as I dont want my engine to die!! Any ideas would be great.

If I havent explained myself well enough just let me know and I will try to answer any of your question as to what it could be.

Thanks again

Yep, most likely leaking from the thermostat housing. Very common on the VR.

It's not a particularly nice job, I can tell you! I was lucky because I had my radiator out when I did mine but doing it in situ must be a mare.

Basically, you have a thermostat housing to block seal, thermostat to housing seal and that long plastic pipe that goes along the front of the block also has a seal in the housing. Best thing to do is replace the whole darn lot....housing, all seals and the thermostat.

Gently sand the block mating face with some emery cloth and use a little silicon sealant but don't use any sealant on the thermostat or pipe seals.

That should do it!!

Kev

94 VR6

kevhaywire, the thing is mate is that the water was leaking when the car wasnt running, as soon as the engine was started it stopped leaking.

My heater in the car is superb, so you think its the thermostat housing etc? Can I sort this job out myself with a little help?

steveo29, my car is a VR6, could the same problem apply as I will do both, what you say and Kev all at once, or how could I tell if those 2 things need doing?

Shall I take the rad off kev as I wanted to change the coolant anyway and flush it out. What is G12? I have heard people say that they use it when putting in new coolant. I take it that its a form of coolant / antifreez? :shock: