Sign in to follow this  
Rams

(VR6) OIL SEEMS REALLY HOT

The oil on my car seems to be really hot, when I took the cap off you could see the heat like a small heat wave. I know they run hot but could I have any problems?

My temp on the MFA was reading on the motorway, now I am just trying to remember but I think it was around 128 degrees, I could be wrong, the water temp was just up from 70 /80 so that seemed spot on.

I would just like to know if there are any possibilities why that could be, or how can I tell if the oilc cooler isnt working properly without chaging it?

Cheers again

Sounds pretty hot at 128deg C....

Im running at a constant 116degC at 80mph....

Umm, I know yours is not a G60, but I did 400 miles today at an average of 80mph... Oil temp 122 :shock: Water temp just under 100 :?

I slowed down to 70 from about 90 and the temps plummeted almost instantly! (102/80!) :roll: :lol:

I think she needs a service! :roll:

I think 128 is getting to the worrying side of hot, may be worth getting an oil change done... :?

Sorry, it wasnt that high, thanks for reminding me about an oilchange though, I will do it over the weekend! I have been using GTX Magnatec, can you recommend anything better for the VR?

128 deg C does sound very hot for a G60 would have thought.....

Oil temps do increase when accelerating and when at constant speed and the water comes down to around 90degC....

then when you park up and idle the oil temp will fall to about 100degC and the water will go up to 100 - 105 degC...

This is because the water system is acting as a heat exchange for the oil hence the oil cools...

Another good reason why after a hot run its good to leave the car idling for 30-60 secs so cooled fresh oil gets around the engine before switching off.

Sorry, it wasnt that high, thanks for reminding me about an oilchange though, I will do it over the weekend! I have been using GTX Magnatec, can you recommend anything better for the VR?

GTX Magnetec is pretty much the best for the VR6.... Quantum Silver is ok too.

I heard that Porsche dealers stopped using Magnetec as it was causing the cars to suffer from low oil pressure... I stopped using it straight after that and only use genuine Quantum silver or Vauxhall semi-synthetic (I get it free from a mate and it's good stuff, even though it's Vauxhall! :lol: )

This was a few years ago mind, but I'd still keep an eye on your oil pressure though if you're using Magnatec.... :?

If you consider how close the cylinders are to eachother on a VR6, it's no wonder it runs hot. A W12 must generate enough heat to warm a small village during the Winter!

When I first picked up my VR, it was running at 114-118 degrees cruising at 80mph, which is too hot for my liking. I installed a Mocal oil cooler and it sits at 96-98 at the same speed, and 102-104 at a constant 100mph, which is more like it.

Kev

94 VR6

I installed a Mocal oil cooler and it sits at 96-98 at the same speed, and 102-104 at a constant 100mph, which is more like it.

Definitely on my list of "must do" jobs...

Definitely worth doing mate. It's so effective, I rarely bother to check my oil temp anymore, even in this heat! Bear in mind you won't undercool your oil since you retain the stock heat exchanger and the Mocal only kicks in when it's valve opens at 80 degrees. If in the winter you feel it's undercooling, you can simply block the Mocal with some tinfoil or something, although from past experience, this won't be required. VR6s lose a bit of power when they get really hot, so there's another reason for installing one :D

Kev

94 VR6

I heard that Porsche dealers stopped using Magnetec as it was causing the cars to suffer from low oil pressure... I stopped using it straight after that and only use genuine Quantum silver or Vauxhall semi-synthetic (I get it free from a mate and it's good stuff, even though it's Vauxhall! :lol: )

This was a few years ago mind, but I'd still keep an eye on your oil pressure though if you're using Magnatec.... :?

this is true there are some big problems with castrol oil, i work in the trade working on subarus and mitzy evos every other day and never put castrol in any vehicle, and as funny as it sounds that vauxhall stuff is actually quite good, seeing as though its shell stuff with a vauxhall badge on the barrel!

that vauxhall stuff is actually quite good, seeing as though its shell stuff with a vauxhall badge on the barrel!

So anyone know who makes VW's Quantum stuff then???

I used to use Vauxhall oil in my *cough* Cavalier and it seeped out of most of the seals, so I put Quantum silver in it and never saw the problem again! I even used to use it in my BMWs! It's good stuff.

Not sure who makes it, probably one of the big 4 - Shell, Mobil, Esso or Fina.

It's all pretty much the same stuff but each manufacturer endorses a particular oil for their engines. In our case, look for VW501.1 classification and you'll be OK.

Kev

94 VR6

ah touche

Never heard of 'em.

:D :D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that one either!

the old uns are the best eh?

where is the best place to buy a mocal oil cooler? How much is it also? I will order one now on the fone if anyone can give me details?

where is the best place to buy a mocal oil cooler? How much is it also? I will order one now on the fone if anyone can give me details?

I think Stealth fit them, see if you can find a www or phone number for Stealth & give 'em a call...

http://www.thinkauto.com

You need a 13 row by 235mm cooler plus a VR6 fitting kit.

Let me know when you've got it and I'll advise you how and where to fit it.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6