Sign in to follow this  
Rory

Slow central locking

Hi everyone i have loads of q's and was wondering if you could help with this first one.

Being the only person i know with a Corrado im not sure whether this is a problem or normal. I have a black 95 N reg Corrado VR6 which ive had just over a year now.

When locking or unlocking the doors using the key and what i believe to be the original central locking system, it takes a few moments for the doors to open. When opening and locking the doors too quickly the system simply doesnt respond at all.

If for example i turn the key the wrong way to open and then try to open the correct way, it takes a few attempts for it to open.

Also is it normal that only one electric window will go up at a time!!?

Would be grateful for any response :)

Hi again, yes it is normal for only 1 window to go up at a time, heres something that may help, I figured that as the drivers window is one touch for up and down and the passenger window is only 1 touch for down that you could but a drivers switch for the passenger side and it may work - i need to check that out! If you press the drivers switch then the passenger switch the driver window will open then when its open fully the passenger will follow itself without having to hit the switch again.

The reason why the locking takes a while is because it operates as a vacum, rather than the modern cars that make a lound click or are really quick, it just shows the age of the C but still IMO a better car than anything modern for around that price range!

You should be able to use your remote for the locking? Has your battery died in your remote or dont you have one because you said that you use a key?

Welcome to the forums rorymcconnachy...

Corrado central locking, as Rams explained, is driven by a vacuum system as a pose to an electrical system. People do quite often experience problems with the central locking pump, which you can find hidden away under carpet on the drivers side / above the wheel arch in the boot. I used to have no end of problems with mine - used to resist me actually unlocking the door, or unlock and then lock instantly. Out of frustration I opened the boot and gave the pump a punch.. it then behaved perfectly for the next three months before acting up again. Who says violence doesn't solve problems ;)

I have been told one way to help iron problems out of the central locking system is to switch your boot lock to central locking mode, and then open the boot and both of the doors.. Then lock and unlock your system and this should put the locks back in sync if you are getting trouble.

As for the electric windows.. yeah, you can only operate one at a time :)

jims16v, What do you think of my theory with getting the passenger window to be one touch for up and down by using a driver switch?

What do you think of my theory with getting the passenger window to be one touch for up and down by using a driver switch?

Flawed, since my driver's side isn't one-touch-up.

They are both just one-touch-down.

Different Cs seem to react differently. So you'd have to guess whether the switch you got actually would do it...

jims16v, What do you think of my theory with getting the passenger window to be one touch for up and down by using a driver switch?

No offence mate. but i wouldn't do it, its been set up like that for a reason and could seriously injure a young passenger or any for that matter.

I once was in the process of closing my windows at the same time as my GF went to open the door and she had her finger trapped in the window. This seriously hurt and i wouldn't of liked to have thought what may of happened if it was a one touch system and i hadn't noticed in time.

Just my 2p.....

I have been able to get my passenger window to go up one-trouch before. But sometimes it doesn't work!

Drivers side always goes up/down with one touch.

Odd!

Edit: Sound sensible Brian!

I know on some cars they have a sensor that if anything is in the way of the window closing the window falls back down again. Does anyone know anymore about this?

Edit: Sound sensible Brian!

Pardon?

I know on some cars they have a sensor that if anything is in the way of the window closing the window falls back down again. Does anyone know anymore about this?

Dunno about that, but when my cable broke that pulls the window down, the arm that pushes it up did just that automatically. Quite clever really. Though it dont last forever.... :cry:

Wow i walked away from the PC thinking i wouldnt get a reply till the next day and then came back to 5! Thanks alot its exactly what i wanted to hear. As long as its not broken, just seems strange that VW didnt update the hardware with the facelift in 92. Must have been too expensive

dubster82, I think the Vauxhal Cavalier - the SRI has it, if you put the window up and put your hand in the way it will gently hit your hand and it senses that something is in the way and comes back down again! If I have the car wrong my apologies, if someone wants to try it then obviously use a rag or something incase it doesnt work.

The syste,m does exsis though and I will find out what they use!

Im going home now, so if your reply I will get it in the morning!

Edit: Sounds sensible Brian!

Pardon?

It was a compliment - I was saying that what you said sounded sensible.

Jeez. I'll keep it shut in future.

;)

If you have a "one touch up" system you must have some sort of load sensor on the motor - or else you're asking for severed/crushed fingers etc.

Some cars do have one touch up (Nissan/Toyota) without proper safety load sensors - just asking for trouble IMHO!!!

Rams, It was no offence mate, i was just making sure no one gets hurt. I know some cars do have it. I just dont think VW bothered, thats all. I've just never fancied sticking my hand in to test it either...... :lol: :wink:

VR6, Its Amazing what an 'S' Does aint it LOL :wink: Worked for Clack Kent at least! :p

stormseeker, Im guessing that this would be built into the mechanism?

stormseeker, Im guessing that this would be built into the mechanism?

I'm guessing that too. Only car I've driven with it was a newish Astra (work pool car).

VR6, Its Amazing what an 'S' Does aint it LOL :wink: Worked for Clack Kent at least! :p

Uperman?

:lol: