Sign in to follow this  
dtjames

VR6 v MR2

Hmmm,

Is an imported (Jap) 1991 MR2 (2L non-turbo) really faster than my 1995 VR6 (unmodified)? (like it's owner tells me - he even reckons that the G60 is quicker than VR6 - is that right too ??!!)

and...

How do I contact AMD - Bristol about chipping my C?

Waaaaaaay !

Is an imported (Jap) 1991 MR2 (2L non-turbo) really faster than my 1995 VR6 (unmodified)? (like it's owner tells me - he even reckons that the G60 is quicker than VR6 - is that right too ??!!)

The VR6 is faster than the G60. (standard)

So he is wrong, and I suspect he's wrong about the MR2 too.

The 2litre non-turbo's are slooow..

Even a Stage-4'd and modded a bit G60 can be beaten by a near-standard VR6.

What if the MR2 has had some kind of mod too - would it even come close? (not sure if it has but I know it has no turbo)

I didn't think the non-turbo was the 'modders choice', since the Turbo can be so much more tunable cheaply.

I think its a bit expensive to tune-up the non-turbo. Is he a bit daft and has too much money? ;)

I used to have an S reg UK spec MR2 and they produce 167 bhp (if I remember correctly) Earlier models made slightly more but later models have a better suspension set-up to compensate.

I don't think it would be faster than a VR as it is quite a heavy car with less power but the handling was fantastic, especially for a standard set-up, so what it loses on the straights it might make some up on the twisty bits.

Just my thoughts,

Rob.

head to head it is then - cos we will be on a straight road !

lmao.

How do I contact AMD - Bristol please?

Even a Stage-4'd and modded a bit G60 can be beaten by a near-standard VR6.

Yeah right!

It also depends on the drivers, conditions, location etc....

I've also heard the the MR2 aint actually too shabby.

Race him and find out!!! :wink:

A VR should easily take the 16v mr2. Some very light moded G60's and properly sorted will make a VR look silly though,remember that g60 are almost 11yrs now and they still keeping it 8)

what you may find is a mr2 is pretty good. i have raced a vr6 in my nearly std G60. thru the twisties i left him for dead. in a straight he had a car or 2 to 100. sorry guys but another 50hp which the 65mm + stuff will do will see that VR everyday.

my dad used to have a mr2 and i recon it would see me off (maybe). it aint got the torque butnit has legs. handling will leave FWD for dead too.

v v close race on the cards i think.

The only encounter I 've had woth an MR2 is when he crashed into the side of me a while ago and did me £1100 quid in damages!!

I am still waiting for the insurance to be sorted out. He is saying my girlfriend was driving and all sorts to make up some bull story to try and get out of it!

ive had a race with an mr2 upto about a ton and it was pretty much even which i thought was pretty good for a standard g60,Mr2 is about 7.5 to 60.

Like to see the same car again now mine is Stg4 chip n'pulley'd,jetex,no cat and k&n........thats if its on a day where its going well ! about 1 in every 2 days......