Sign in to follow this  
jimborae

Problems, I Have Loads!

Problems, I Have Loads!:(

Ok the car is a 93 2.0L 16v. with pre 93 face lift parts! Heres a list of the problems.

1. Passenger door handle broken

2. Sunroof cable on passenger side bust

3. Rear wheel bearings shot

4. Drumming niose from front brakes when braking from high speed, gets louder the harder you brake. (Brake disks are brand new zimmerman cross drilled with pagid road pads.

5 Permanent squeal from brakes or front bearing, goes on application of brakes or when turning a corner.

6. Battery drains flat after four days , not the alarm & central locking as I've disconnected it and it still does it.

7. Occasionally revs fast or uneven at idle and doesn't always pick up until full throttle applied.

8.Bad metallic clanging/crashing noise when going over uneven surfaces or bumps from from passenger side. (Eibach springs & Konis fitted)

9. Clutch bites when peadle is nearly at the floor (clutch on its way out??)

Any help or suggestions with any or all of the above would greatly appreaciated. Also can any members in the Berkshire area recommend good garages. I wont use AMD anymore so please dont suggest them.

Cheers

Jim :)

i'll be brief since you have a lot of problems.

1 ) fix it.

2 ) fix it.

3 ) replace.

4 ) mechanic.

5 ) see #4.. or just put some rubber pads behind them or that goldish brake poop. probably the pad vibrating on the caliper

6 ) check all your grounds, esp the main batt ground

7 ) tune up.

8 ) good luck.

9 ) replace.. upgrade to VR unit (if possible.. is on G60s)

if you've got cash and want the best service talk to darren and john at PD motorsport. cheers.

Jim,

I bet that feels better to get that off your chest. :lol:

I can only help with a couple of your probs.

1/ Door handle - common problem, new they cost £80 from VW down to about £30 from places like GPC. But the best route is to use passat rear door handles. There's loads of posts on here, so I won't go on.

2/ again plenty of posts here on that one

5/ as lanny said, try copper grease ('goldish brake poop' - :lol: ), behind the pads.

7/ check the ISV. always a good idea to soak it in carb cleaner overnight.

8/ I have a similar noise, it appears to be the anti rollbars (eibach) touching the wishbones - check for wear marks there. If not, check the splash guard behind the brakes. (Keep me posted on that one please :) )

9/ Typical symptoms of a clutch master/slave cylinder fault. try bleeding the system first, if still ot sucessful, then you'll have to replace both cylinders. BTW mine does it a bit, but only if the pedal is depressed for a long while - simple solution is to always knock it into neutral at traffic lights.

Good luck

Ok thanks for the answers so far and yes it does feel beeter getting if off my chest. Had the car for 4yrs now and its been nothing but trouble.

I bought a VW because I had previously always had alfas and got sick of the build quality so got a Corrado becuase the handling was nearly as good as a Sud. Build quality is no better with VW and the engine and running gear is more unreliable, at least the alfa's engine and running gear were bullet proof.

One question though.

Chuck, I'm not a complete n00b when it comes to engines but what does ISV stand for. Air inlet, sensor or something like that I presume.

Cheers

Jim

Idle Stabilisation Valve

On the 2.0 16v, the ISV is reeeeally easy to clean out :)

See the attached image for the location of the ISV (its from a Golf 16v, but the thing is in the same place) - simply disconnect the pipework, and the electrical sensor it has attached to it, and then hose the inside of the ISV out with carb cleaner for a good 10 or so minutes. Hopefully this should dislodge and knock out loads of old gunk and crap which causes the car to idle badly.

I also found disty cap / rotor arm / ignition lead replacement was a cheap but effective way of making the engine run and idle a lot better.

Hope that helps! :)

Battery Drain

Another classic one, in response to your question about the battery draining flat.. check to see whether your boot light remains on even when the boot is closed. I have read about that a few times on the Corrado...

Close all the doors & boot, and drop the back seats and see if the courtesy light remains on in the boot.. if it does, you found the source of your battery drain.

Failing that you might want to consider an uprated or more heavy duty battery to see if that can last longer than 4 days.. I was getting problems with my battery, and I had the wonder of the Bosch Silvers introduced to me. It cost about 50 quid from German/Swedish/French for a good 50/60AH battery which never let me down in my last 6 or so months of C ownership.

Garages

As for garage reccomendations.. AmD isn't all that far away from Stealth Racing, the place that I always used.. Vince and their team are very well known and respected in the VW/Audi community. Their website is at http://www.stealthracing.co.uk - they are located just outside of Coventry and I would have no hesitation in reccomending them :)

Clanging noise from passenger side

Possibly heatshield? Or a very common problem with lowered C's in the exhaust hitting the rear axle - you might want to check for that, especially as you say passenger side, where the exhaust runs...

Jim,

The clanging niose is definitely not the heat shield as thats long gone as has the contents of the cat!. Which leads me to another question when revved hard on the road there is a pop from the exhaust when changing gear .i.e. on overun is this normal? Its has a power flow exhaust

Unfortunately Cov's to far from Newbury for me, surely there must be descent place close to Berkshire apart from Amd.

Finally it already has a heavy duty battery but Ill check the boot light soon.

Cheers

Jim

P.S thanx for the piccies they're very helpful.

Jim,

I too have had my fair share of problems with my 2.0 16V C so maybe some of this will help. I live in Reading so I can tell you what I've done and see if any of it helps. I know you've already mentioned AmD, so I won't go any further other than to say that they do my servicing and major mechanical work (suspension, brakes, milltek etc.)

For the various ailments my C has suffered from (and it's recently developed more :roll: ) I'd suggest the following. Let a VW dealer 'examine' the car, the one in Reading have had my C in a couple of times for emergencies & they appear to still have technicians who know what a Corrado is (I've also seen more than its fair share of C's going there). They've successfully diagnosed my problems where others have failed.

I had all sorts of idling problems and after trying all the usual fixes (ISV, Distributor, etc.) VW diagnosed the problem to the throttle switch & temprature sender. Since these parts were changed I've had no idling issues at all (no one else even mentioned these parts).

Once you've identified the problem, source the parts using a parts company (assuming it's not dealer only) and take it to a friendly local garage. Mine is called PL Autos in Reading, Cardiff Road (the owner lives across the road from me!) They've also done work on my car (replaced the clutch) and their prices are seriously good. Again, my C is not the only one they've dealt with.

Hope some of this helps & good luck with sorting your problems.

Best Regards,

Duncan.

Duncan,

Thanks for the reply, I'll be working on the car this weekend so I'll see if any of the tips given here solve my problems. I'll keep you all updated.

Anybody have any ideas about the exhaust popping on overrun or should I not be worried about it.

Cheers

Jim

mine does it. its cuz the cat is gutted. no worries. do it in pitch darkness with a friend following, good for a laugh. :lol:

do it in pitch darkness with a friend following, good for a laugh.

Cewl :) As long as its not doing any harm I shan't worry about it.

Cheers

Jim

4) If you are still having problems with "warped" feeling or vibrations under braking with new disks, take 'em off and clean the hub that they face onto LIGHTLY with a wire brush... It's possible (my 16v C did it!) that the face was dirty when the new disks were fitted so they aren't on flush as they should be and so seem "warped" when you brake causing a vibration 'cos they're not on straight... :?

Dunno, solved the problem on 2 of my cars so far... :lol: