Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

front engine mount change

just realised today that the front engine mount seems to be cracked on one side :shock: (the bracket not the actual rubber part) is it easy to change the mount as it looks farly simple to do just looks a bit on the tight side to squeeze the new mount in, anybody got any tips and will it be ok to jack the engine from below to give more room to clear the subframe or does the engine need lifting from above? thanks Bobby :Dp.s the car is 1990 1.8 16v

It is usually ok to jack the engine from below but make sure you have a decent bit of wood between the jack and sump and pay regualr and close attention to all the wiring and pipework to make sure you don't put any strain on anything. Most stuff has enough play to move the engine far enough to change the front mount although last time I did this I found it usefull to trim some of the spare thread off the threaded protrusion on the mount. This meant that I did not have to move the engine so far.

I doubt whether any of this is the "recommended technique" but I have never had any problems changing the front mount this way. Obviously if you have access to an engine hoist you are better off lifting the engine but in the absence of a hoist.......

Si B, that's the way I did mine too... 8) (didn't trim the thread though, good idea... 8) )