Sign in to follow this  
Rory

Brown goop

not sure on the rear, I havent attempted that yet? SAomeone on here will tel you hows its done, im sure.

OK, just seen your photo... :oops: Definately NOT oil/water emulsion then... :lol:

Dont worry Henny i could see where your coming from, i read the message back to myself and knew what you were thinking.

One q tho, how come everyone has a nice picture of their car under their name? I tried to attach one to my profile and its gotta be less that 150*150 pixels!! My Gameboy has more than that!! When i look at your pictures they are all top quality. Rams are your wheels really that big?!?!?! Or is it a clever photo chop? Front discs also look big

Dont worry Henny i could see where your coming from, i read the message back to myself and knew what you were thinking.

Yeah, glad you understood... I've kind of got this funny "thing" about the oil coolers on VW cars after one cost me a rather large amount of money... :roll: :(

I don't want any other poor sod to go through the same drama as me... 8)

what happened then mate. what was up with your oil cooler? I am just about to order one so I would like to know your doubts.

Cheers

I've got a Vibratechnics front mount on mine and a turn2 heavy duty rubber gearbox mount. The rear is stock.

This is a fantastic setup (whilst it lasts!), gearchanges are much slicker under heavy acceleration and handling is better since the engine isn't moving about so much. Remember those 'Wiggly Giggly' plastic eggs with a ball bearing in it? Well that's the effect a loose engine has on handling - to a certain degree.

Costs, VT front = £120 RRP but roughly £95 from certain places I cannot divulge I'm afraid.

Turn2 rear = About £40 inc shipping IIRC.

Harshness? A very slight amount at idle [over standard] but as stock once on the move.

Kev

94 VR6

This is a fantastic setup (whilst it lasts!)

Kev

94 VR6

Are u expecting longevity problems?

what happened then mate. what was up with your oil cooler? I am just about to order one so I would like to know your doubts

I've no doubts about 'em... They're great as long as you know the condition of them... I change 'em as a matter of course when I do the first service on any VW I buy now and then I'm happy with 'em... 8) It's worth the money for the peace of mind 8)

It's only ones that I don't know the history/age of that set me off with a nervous twitch! :lol: :shaking: :roll:

I had a MKII gti which went thru 3 head gasket replacements in 2 weeks because of an oil cooler... 1st time 'cos we didn't know it was the cooler and presumed it was the head gasket. 2nd time, 'cos we'd presumed it was the head gasket and not changed the cooler, it did the same again, but actually took the head gasket with it... 3rd time, it had weakened the seal in the coolant bottle when the cooler went, so it overheated, blowing the head gasket... :roll: :(

Oh, and then 'cos it had thrown it's oil out a few times, the crank bearings started to make a really not nice noise, and 'cos it'd had oil in the water all of the water pipes started to burst... :? :roll: A quick rebuild later and I got shot of the car while it was still running... I still see it about, so I can't have bodged it that badly! :lol:

See why I have a thing about the oil coolers now?!? :lol: 8)

I wonder if its just worth getting a VW standard cooler, I wont mind changing it for peace opf mind like you said. or would you go for an uprated one?

I wonder if its just worth getting a VW standard cooler, I wont mind changing it for peace opf mind like you said. or would you go for an uprated one?

Depends on any other mods you are planning... The stock VW isn't bad and does the job well for the standard engine... 8) If you're thinking of going down the moddifying route, then I'd probably say get a mocal one which seems to be a pretty popular mod on the board... Do a search for mocal on the board and see what you can find... :D

I'm thinking of fitting a mocal one when I start "playing" with my engine when I do my re-build later in the summer... :lol:

This is a fantastic setup (whilst it lasts!)

Kev

94 VR6

Are u expecting longevity problems?

Everything has a finite life span and I've heard of people breaking VT mounts, so in a way, yes! I don't drive the car especially hard, so the VT mount might hold out longer than normal. The improved handling and gearchange make the outlay worthwhile though.

Kev

94 VR6

kevhaywire, My gearchange can be notchy sometimes after a hard run. Could this be a symptom of my nackered mounts? Its not crunchy and it happens in no particular gear, just can feel notchy or is it like that with all c's?