Sign in to follow this  
Bobbywhacker

Mirrors

Hi, can someone confirm for me, are the wing mirrors supposed to be heated? If so, are they in any way linked to the rear window heater???

Also is the connector for the rear window heater wiring in the boot lid or in the rear section of the roof?

Neither of mine appear to work!!

I don't know if all the models are the same, but my G60 definatly has heated mirrors that are switched on with the rear window heater switch

Cheers... Actually looking into it, it would appear that they share a fuse... £100000000000 says I have a blown fuse when I get off me backside and go and check

It's more likely the glass has been replaced with a non-heated version.

£4 non-heated

£60 heated.

I know what I choose when some twit smacks my mirror...

The rear heated screen switch also turns on the heated mirrors and heated washerjet nozzles... They all share the same fuse. 8)

ok..... maybe I'm being a complete div here.. but, the fuse for the rear heater n mirrors etc, is no.9 I'm lead to believe, is that 9 in from the right or the left of the fusebox? I've looked at both and visually they don't look blown. Unless I'm just being impatient???? Could it be a relay??

Sorry to bang on about this, but the fuse(s) are definitely ok in the car... is there anything else? Is there an easy way to check the power is gettin to the mirrors/rear window, without pulling the door cards off?

Is there an easy way to check the power is gettin to the mirrors/rear window, without pulling the door cards off?

Just prise the mirror glass out and check there first...

Then take the wing mirror units off and pull the wiring up to check they are plugged it etc - easier that taking the cards off...

hmmm worried by that word 'prise' lol.. I tried repairing 1 that some chav had decided to smash off.. i think I made it worse lol!! .. I shall tackle that challenge then.... if there still isn't any power at the mirrors any other ideas what might be the problem?? A dodgy switch maybe??

If neither your rear window or mirrors heat up - as you've already eliminated the fuse, I would suggest that the switch may be faulty.

It would be a very large coincidence for both mirrors & rear window all to develop faults at the same time.

When you "prise" the mirror glass out you wanna make sure you do at the top and the bottom. not side to side. i'll be replaciong mine soon i'm gona try a shatterproof ruler for a bit more purchase. :)

...... and i just wanted to check.. a mate of mine reckons the rear heater is c*ck anyways and can't demist for toffee..... I can drive 15mins down the M23 and it might start clearing... does that sound reasonable?

Rear screen de-misters deteriorate with age & condition - try cleaning up the electrical terminals on each side of the screen. Only way to completely rectify this is to fit a new screen.

One check that you can do is to check the power feed to the rear window - I'm not sure what the voltage should be though.

Mine's 13 years old & de-mists fairly well.

You want a screen???

Prize out the mirror glass using a plastic ruler inserted under the bottom edge having adjusted the mirror to the full "up" position 1st.

It's held in by a combination of double sided adhesive and plastic clips.

The elements burn out over time btw.