Sign in to follow this  
woody

Ported & Flowed Head & Thottle Body

Big thanks to 16vg60 for the work on Sat. He removed my head and put a Ported and flowed head back on. Also ported and flowed my throttle body. Car is now much more responsive and the acceleration is much better( it nearly caught me out on the A27 roundabout ). It also is a much smoother ride at idle. Top work and very pleased.

16vg60 will do exchange heads for £350 requiring swap over of cam from old head. Fitting would require gaskets arround £100 (VAG) and about 8 hours labour to dismantle old head and replace head and setup.

To have your Throttle body ported and flowed £75 + setup time. My car is a completley different animal now

i aint being rude.

but that throttle body in the pics is not a patch on the flow work me dad done for g60dan on his throttle body. you lads wait for the pics.

cheers rysa

Polishing it until it looks like chrome is pointless. Smoothing off the casting defects and finishing the throat surface is more than adequate.

ive been reading up on porting and was wondering if a noob could do it succesfully or is it best left to a pro?

Also, whats involved in having something flowed?

Flowing involves blowing air into the component to see where there are swirls or turbulence that can be reduced/removed by removing casting marks, poor design etc.

Smoke is added to the air so that your eye can see where turbulence is occuring.

Its all fluid dynamics stuff, air is a fluid, and is percieved as a bit of a black art.

The effect of having all that done is that as the air flows more efficiently is results in an increase in power, and in the case of a TB response of the engine. (If you go to WOT with a un-flowed and un-ported TB the suck in of the engine has to overcome the turbulence created by imperfections caused by manufacture this creates a bit of lag and reduces power)

I think thats about right if not I am sure someone will correct it!

Ive recently fitted a flowed head to my 1.8 16v and wow wot a difference! at 4k its amazin.

I ported my own tb cos that way you can go as mad as you like,look at the pics of rileys!!!

That it correct Yanyards. Air just like water will, if it is forced to round a ninty degree bend but will create turbulence and eddies which hinder the flow. By porting and flowing by taking off all the angles and making them smooth curves and then polishing them reduces the pressure required to make the air / fluid flow arround more efficiently. By all means get some pics up m8. I am sure that people will admire the work and ask for a phone number to get theres done.

Supercharged are you talking about the brown colour?

If you are it looks like an anti-corrosion treatment to me.

We use a chemical called allo-chrome on aircraft that dries that colour - it is designed for aluminium and is a spray on wipe off process. It also resists all sorts of nasty chemicals including jet fuel (Diesel with some extra additives!)

16vg60 will do exchange heads for £350 requiring swap over of cam from old head. Fitting would require gaskets arround £100 (VAG) and about 8 hours labour to dismantle old head and replace head and setup.

To have your Throttle body ported and flowed £75 + setup time. My car is a completley different animal now

new hydraulic lifters needed too?