Sign in to follow this  
mambomonkey

B&M Quickshift probs.

Got a B&M quickshift at inters to fit on my G60 box, but ever since i've had it it's been playing up. I have tried playing around with the neutral adjustment screw including setting it so it goes into third with no latteral movement. This however hasn't solved the main problem which is that IT NEVER WANTS TO GET IN SECOND GEAR!!! - it moves into postion ok, but just seems to POP OUT and then crunch. It does this occasionally in 4th too... ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, because don't know whats more annoying, - the sore shoulder or the fact that my car effectively dosn't have a second gear at the moment.... :x :x :x

CHEERS

Sounds like you dont have enough forward lever movement to engage 2nd and 4th properly. Have a look at the stick and locate the two surfaces which come together to stop you pushing the stick forward enough for 2nd/4th. You might have to grind a couple mm off that surface to allow a bit more movement.

Are you sure its for a G60?

The reason I ask is because I ordered one from Venom and it was for VR6.

Phoned Venom and asked and they told me that it should fit cos they're all basically the same....hmmmm.

Anyway got it fitted and found that the shaft is slightly too long and to start off with I couldn't get it to downshift from 2nd to 1st-usually ended up in reverse.The end of the shaft was going slightly past the reverse stop shoulder.Got that sorted,but was out tonight and the gear linkage popped off.I was stuck in fourth with no way of fixing to get me home-very smelly clutch now! :oops:

Anyway it sounds as if you may need to adjust your gear linkage or replace the cable as it may have stretched over time,cos the problem your getting is one I dindn't have!

I have the B&M short shift in my Corrado, sorry to dissapoint, but to look at it is the same installed as the OE item. All the engineering sits in the OE housing and is therefore covered by the gator. Are you perhaps thinking of the motosport style shifters, which are a radical departure in appearance terms from the OE shifter?

the short shift kit i have is just shorter than the original level!! may aswell chop your old one down and rethread it!!

They look exactly like that when supplied in the box! Once fitted however the only part left on show is the gear knob. The component is intended to mechanically enhance the car not astheticly. If you want shorter gear selection movement fit a B&M or it's equivalent, if looks are the priority try an aftermarket gear knob. Conversely you could have both with a VW Motorsport gear shifter.