Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

ABS error codes from Halfords?

Hi guys,

I was convinced that my driver side ABS sensor was the reason for the light being on as i'd checked the resistance over the connectors etc and it was sky high.

Has anyone had problems with replacing this? I really struggled to get it all the way into position. The small magnet part is about 3mm short of touching the inside of the disc, Have i installed it correctly or should it be touching?

The reason i ask is that the light is STILL on even though the resistance is down to the same as the passenger sensor :mad:

I saw some error code readers in halfords, are they any good?

No the sensor must not be touching the inside of the disc. The gap between the two parts is critical, if it is incorrect the light will still be on. I can find out for definate, but if I remember correctly it should be a 0.6mm gap.

I've tried the gunsons reader from halfords, and could not get it to work on mine.

does the light ever go off? If it doesn't and the resistance is the same on all 4 sensors, then you have another fault somewhere...

If it does go out, but then comes back on when you're moving, you have a mechanical fault somewere which could be the sensor not being close enough to the grated disk or could be one of the other sensors not working properly...

Best bet is to get it onto a VAG-COM system which will tell you exactly which part is at fault... 8)

Thanks guys,

the light started by coming on intermittantly when i got the car in July but then became more often and now is always on. I assumed it was the thin wire fusing back together now and then that was allowing the componant to work sometimes but now not so sure.

How much is a look on VAG-COM at the dealers?

The other problem is that i don't reckon it will go to within 0.6mm of the disc i physically couldn't push it any further toward the disc.

Will give the Halfords code thingy a miss then I think

There's a list of forum users who have VAG-COM and are willing to read fault codes in a thread somewhere. I'm in Oxford and have one if you can use if you're nearby, it's OBD style so will only work on post '94 VR I believe :)