Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

No hot air from heaters?

My car hasnt been used for a few days and today when I went out it was frozen solid with ice also on the inside of the windscreen. I started it up and left it running for about 15 minutes waiting for it to heat up and defrost but there was only cold air blowing from the heaters. Ive never had this problem before and im pretty sure it isnt the heater controls as it had been left on hot form the last time it was used and was fine then.

The engine warmed up as normal. Any ideas? Is there a thermostat or something that stops water going into the matrix until the car warms up.

Mine might be a little chilly......

(Yay! Snow!)

Would show you the car now - but I went for Physio and it's snowed so much I had to leave my car at the bottom of the road and walk up!!

Might go and get it in a while when its stopped chucking it down!

Could be the thermostat stuck, could it be frozen?

I think thats probably the best explanation, I went out today, the water needed topping up (slightly low) then I started the car and everything was fine. It wasnt as cold today either and I cant see any visible coolant leaks so I will just have to keep an eye on it for the next few days.

Just as the weather started to turn colder and i needed to use the heater i was finding that only when running slowly(ish) around town could i get and decent heat. The temp guage always read quite low and it was the lack of heat that started me thinking that maybe the thermostat was either stuck open or as in a old car i had was missing completly. Got my local tame mechanic to check it out and it was indeed stuck wide open. Once changed the car is now as warm as toast

Could it be a similar problem that I only seem to get waves of heat from the heaters when I get over about 50mph? Until then, the air isn't warm.. hit around 50mph and it starts pumping the heat out?

Could it be a similar problem that I only seem to get waves of heat from the heaters when I get over about 50mph? Until then, the air isn't warm.. hit around 50mph and it starts pumping the heat out?

Jim is your car runnning hot? cos thats a wired one

Had this same problem recently - was the recirculation valve (the silver one just at the bulkhead in the engine bay) on the inlet to the heater matrix. Its designed to restrict flow when the engine is cold (so's it warms up quicker). but they can stick closed. Though some heat can still get through - but only when the water pump works hard - i.e. higher engine revs - that would explain waves of heat especially when going faster.

I replaced it with one from a scrapper passat. (must be a common problem - I counted 2 passats that had these valves removed and replaced with straight-through copper pipe!!) Also flushed the heater matrix at the same time too (worthwhile as it can easily fill with gunk), with Mr muscle drain cleaner. A bit awkward as its very thick.

It all worked a treat. Now the air is too hot when on max.

Jim is your car runnning hot? cos thats a wired one

Nope - the car runs at pretty good, steady temperatures to be honest with you.

Chuck's answer certainly seems like the one..

Chuck - any chance of a picture/photo so I know what I am looking to replace? I am not the most technically minded, but if you point it out, I might stand a chance.

Might be worth mentioning (to help in your reckoning of this problem) that when dropping down to low speed again, I find that I occasionally get cold air coming back in, in between the hot. Same problem you think?

Im having the same problem with mine, its almost definatly that steel valve just by the bulkhead mine gets hot for about 20 minutes then goes etone cold, i will have to replace it when i get the chance !!

i take it you mean the non return valves,they were fitted by vw because a few matrix's burst resuling in people scalding there feet,there was a big recall on the mk2 golfs when they first realised they had a problem

how do u go about gettin the heater matrix out to clean it and how much do u reckon one of those non return valves is gonna cost me, cheers in advance

yep the 2 valves fitted infront of the bulkhead were a recall but these get blocked up over time with wax.my carpets were dry but heater blew cold air.the solution is to dissconect both the valves try and look through you should see the blocked wax. drill a 5mm hole in each then reconect top up water thats been lost then run car up to temp to see if everything ok.hopfully you will have warm air.heat its the future.ive felt it ..

Would show you the car now - but I went for Physio and it's snowed so much I had to leave my car at the bottom of the road and walk up!!

Might go and get it in a while when its stopped chucking it down!

Andi being front wheel, drive if your C is sliding all over the place, triing to get up him simply reverse up the hill. my parents had to do that loads of times when its snowed to get off our street back in the UK