Sign in to follow this  
AlanVW

Wheels/Tyres Sizes ?

Been looking around for a set of rims for my corrado. Just having some problems choosing.

I Want Wide, and I Want Big, But. I dont want to ruin the performance and Handiling of the car and I dont want arch problems.

Right now it's running on 7x15 BBS Rims with 195/55/15 Tyres. No Problems whatsoever.

I Was thinking 8x17 Borbet T's But I think im going to get problems with them.

I Just dont know what to do, can anyone give me some advice ?

You can't have big and wide without affecting the handling!

You can however reduce the negative affects big rims can cause by choosing a very light 17" wheel. It's all about keeping unsprung weight to a minimum and also offset is important in order to avoid excessive tramlining and bump steer.

I have 8x17 RHs on mine and find the ride and handling to be good, I went with offset 40. The wheels themselves are light, a pound or two heavier than stock 15s.

I can tell you this now, your car will NOT handle aswell on 17s as it does on 15s, but there are sacrifices one can accept in the pursuit of improving the looks :D

i really like the wheels you have. they look great

I realise i will have to sacrafice handiling with a change of wheels, but it's just a question of how much im willing to sacrafice.

How much is your car lowered approx ?

I am hoping to have money for a set of billsteins after i get my wheels and tires sorted out.

I would love to have my car slammed as low as possible on 8x17 it think it would look sweet. but i just cant resist opening it up on back roads.

i have 9x16s borbet As and the handling is still superb,lowered 60 mm and avo adjustable shocks help improve the handling

i really like the wheels you have. they look great

I realise i will have to sacrafice handiling with a change of wheels, but it's just a question of how much im willing to sacrafice.

How much is your car lowered approx ?

I am hoping to have money for a set of billsteins after i get my wheels and tires sorted out.

I would love to have my car slammed as low as possible on 8x17 it think it would look sweet. but i just cant resist opening it up on back roads.

Yeah they do look nice, cheers :)

Mine's lowered about 40mm mate. Can't really go much lower with 8s unless you roll the arches, especially the rear ones.

If you like B road blasts, avoid slamming. You'll have no suspension travel and the ride will terrible.