woody

Oil Leak From Sump

:x I have an oil leak from the sump gasket area of my G60. Is it as simple as

1. Thrash Down Bypass

2. Drain Oil (New filter 500 miles ago)

3. Remove Sump

4. Clean and refit New Gasket

5. Replace Oil

anybody know how much a sump gasket is ??????

The garage i bought the car from said they replaced the sump because of a leak and judging by the other work which they claimed to have done (Total Cr*p Workmanship) leads me to beleive that the gasket was so expensive that they have just sealed the sump with some kind of rubber glue.

Euro Car Parts Sump gasket: £14.25 8)

It's the same sump/gasket as pretty much every VW watercooled engine for the last 20 odd years, except for the 1.1 and 1.3 which are much MORE :shock: expensive!

Give 'em a call, it's not a bad job, just make sure that you have a long thin extension for your ratchet and a socket that you can get in 'cos a couple of the bolts are in a pretty tight space... :?

The trick is to not overtighten the sump bolts or you'll buckle the sump causing further leaks. Adhere to the torque figure (11lb I think) and you'll be OK. Use a VW gasket as they're now made from an improved material.

Kev

94 VR6

woody, the job is not bad at all, make sure you get every bit of old gasket off though. Are sure its the gasket leaking and not a porous sump as early cars do suffer from this. While the sumps off give the pick up a quick clean as well. :)

looks like an easy job, but be prepared for a lot of cursing over 2 bolts at the gearbox side. You'll have to remove the small silver cover on the gearbox to expose them. You'll also need a thin extension with a wobbly end, as you can easily (I know cuz i did) :x cross thread them.

BTW I got a gasket for I think 6 quid from GSF. And its no longer leaking.

The engine gaskets seem to be a common problem with the C, I know that gaskets dont last forever but the Corrado seems to get through them - maybe to do with the high temps our engines run at, especially the G60...

I read a thread on the Yahoo group a little while ago about someone who had the sump gasket changed several times and still leaked, alot of people replied recommending the use of a sealant as well...

Like Kev says, make sure you use a torque wrench and look up the settings first as the worst thing you can do is overtighten (or crossthread!)

Getting gasket this afternoon i will have a go at the job providing its not raining! :D

What a sh*t job :twisted: . Lots of swearing trying to get the two bolts at gearbox. Took three hours and no more leaks. Found that the best tool to stop the cross threading of the bolts was a bendy extension for the socket set. Thanks for everybody's help. :D

Admin Please Close Thread