Sign in to follow this  
sambo

Very poor fuel consumption...26mpg!!!

Ok, i just did my maths and it turns out my valver thinks its a VR! 26mpg that is. I covered 783miles of which 600 were m-way driving. My car used 117ltrs of optimax/ultimate. What are the usual reasons for poor consumption? Its a 2.0l valver with kr cam as only mod

try using 4th and 5th gears when on the motorway - brings the revs down a bit and will save fuel :wink:

but seriously, my valver was only giving me 26-28ish on a long run and that was when it was f'ked (which has cost me lots of cash - but is now nearly a complete new engoine)... my fuel consumption boiled down to the timing being about 4 teeth out.

To be honest was driving very sensibly for most of the time, maybe my timing is out but car did well on rollers so is it poss to make good power even if timing is out? what else could it be?

Mine does 7-9mpg! only cos i do short journeys with the firebreather!!!

26 really aint bad tho is it? vw state 32mpg but thats probaly driving like a grandad

U dont buy a corrado thinking it would give any good MPG !!!

But if the MPG are really a problem there is a answer, never heard of it

done on a corrado but

LPG

not worried about mpg because of costs involved as i dont use it all the time but concerned about any faults and engine tune in general. If it uses to much fuel something is a miss and it want perform as well as it should and i think thats the reason we all have corrados! I had other valvers and i would see 26mpg only if i try my hardest tro thrash it all the time! It would manage high 30-s on m-way all day long, this one tho strugled to get 29mpg! Deffo something wrong

Somthing is up there,

on A class roads the usual for us is between 29 + 36 mpg

its down to 28 when shes around town

the woman doesnt take it over 3,000 rpm tho,she was the same with her golf gti,nae wonder its needs spanking every so often..

I priced a LPG kit, £1000 would cover it,I just couldnt bear letting them cut a hole in the 1/4 panel.

i get 29 in my 1.8 16v. tested on a road drives, motorway journeys and around town. Same every time! I don't think it's that bad..

Are you lads calculating mpg properly or are you reading of MFA? According to my mfa i am doing 24mpg average! I just need to know really if my car could do with a good check up to locate whats wrong, fix it and in turn get more power out of it

Forget the MFA!! mine never goes as high as 29!!

i fill my car with petrol, re set the mile reader, use a full tank, then when i re-fill i divide the amount of petrol by the amount of miles i've done..

Works okay for me!

Mfa on this one here has been as high as 36

next time Im on a run I'll try and remember and take a photo of it.

The car is standard so maybe this helps.

I went by calculations not the mfa, in my previous c with my rebuilt 9a, ported/polished head 264-s cams runing on k-jet, it used to average 32mpg, that is with hard driving most of the time! On a slow m-way run 80mph i used to see nearly 40mpg! So i know these engines can perform well and be economical at the same time, so something is deffinetly not right

Als the mfa needs to be set to no 1 position for that journey,gave mine a thrashin yesturday for about 7miles and was doin 26mpg

i get around 12-14 mpg on a quick run! :cry: and about 18 mpg on a long run but she is running a little wrong at the mo :cry: :cry:

and i get about 40 miles to a tenner! :cry:

Christ people, That MPG sounds bad for a valver. OK with a G60.

My Vr is running sweet and recon the MFTC is spot-on. ( Ihave checked it on several occasions with fill-ups etc.)

I do approx 500 mles per week and tested differnt fuel's and the best been ultimate. My trip shows on average each day at circa 30mpg. Up to 33mpg was the best but rearly below 26mpg when she is cold. Position 2 shows a healthy 29.2mpg at the mo over 1000miles.

so to say your valver is thinking shes a VR6 ? tell her to get a grip of herself :lol:. and b4 you ask, I have cracking fun in the vr where I can but a very hard fast run through the stop/start MK Grid, she will still do the best knockings of 27.5mpg and a big grin on my boat-race :D

Thats it! I am gona get a vr after reading that. anyone wants a slightly thirsty but very tidy valver? :wink:

i get around 12-14 mpg on a quick run! :cry: and about 18 mpg on a long run but she is running a little wrong at the mo :cry: :cry:

and i get about 40 miles to a tenner! :cry:

At last some decent competition for my syncro. :lol:

Gavin

i get around 12-14 mpg on a quick run! and about 18 mpg on a long run but she is running a little wrong at the mo

and i get about 40 miles to a tenner!

I think there is something badly wrong there!!