Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Various VAG-COM cables on ebay

There seems to be alot of different types of cables compatible with the OBD2 connector and a laptop running the VAG-COM software from Ross Tech. They seem to range from a straight cable with minimal circuitry contained on the OBD2 connector for about £30.00, to ones with interface boxes going from £50.00ish upwards. Has anyone bought any of these cables? Any idea what the differences are? Was thinking of going for the cheapest but, by normal 'you get what you pay for', would like to know how they are selling them that cheap..

Any recommendations?

So long as the lead has an opto-isolator in it you should be OK, otherwise there is a chance your Laptop could send voltage spikes to the ECU and kill it.

Ross Tech seem to be combating these clone leads by restricting their software more and more.

IMO, you can't beat the fully paid up and registered real deal from Ross Tech.

So long as the lead has an opto-isolator in it you should be OK, otherwise there is a chance your Laptop could send voltage spikes to the ECU and kill it.

Ross Tech seem to be combating these clone leads by restricting their software more and more.

Mine is opto isolated, and Vag-com appears to be fine with it.

Phil, that's more the price range I'm looking, what software are you using and does it work with a RS232-USB converter? My laptop doesn't support RS232.

Thanks. Would like to go the skpang route for easiness but a little pricely, think I'll try the kit form from andywhittaker and the converter. Should have most of the components at work, so I recon £30 all in should cover it.

Take it the free version of VagCom is pretty cut down compared to the registered copy. Like the look of those 1/4mile graphs you can plot, hoping the free one does that. :D

I received the cable a long time ago and have only just given it a go. I've got a USB to RS-232 converter which the OBD2 cable connects to. Thing is the VAG-COM software I downloaded just says it can't find the RossTech interface when trying to connect to the car. Is this copyright protection because its trying to find the dongle? Thought there was a free cut down version anyone can use?

I bought an alpha-bid lead just recently and it works just fine. You need version 311.2 of VAG-COM to make it work as the newer ones don't support generic leads.

Yarr,

--

Olly