Sign in to follow this  
GsixT

Please help newbie with some G60 queries! PS: Forum is great

What a lovely forum ive stumbled across here! Upon reading around some of the help given I can see this is a nice online place for advice and technical info, unlike a lot of the othe rones out there. Since you all seem so knowledgeable with the Corrado engines I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on my corrado. I own a G60 and I love it to bits!

I DO NOT want to change to any engine that DOESNT have the G60 charger lets make that clear :wink: BUT...what im after is some advice on 8 valve Vs 16 valve G60 engines.

Excuse some of these as I am a newb with charging cars and forced inductsion...

Why can one not use the normal 16 valve engines in Corrados to base a 16 valve G60 on?

What engines DO people who build 16 valve corrados base their engines on?

Is it true that running 16 valves is dangerous with G60 as they need to be revved very hard to run fast, when the G60 shouldnt be revved over about 6 thousand revs anyway? How do they get away with this?

What power gains/benefits otherwise, is there running a 16 valve G60 over an 8 valve? is it worth the hassle?

I hear people saying once the G60 8 valve gets to around 200 ish or just over, brake horse power, that this is really where you should stop without having to spend silly amounts that wouldnt be financially worhtwile...is this true? What kind of output can one aim for?

I gather there is ways of making the standard charger pull harder by doing something with the pullys and tooth belts? I do not understand this fully. Can someone explain in detail what is gone about in this?

What does it mean with stage 1,2,3 and 4 charge rebuild? what is the difference between this and this R1 spec charger someon tells me off that the jabbas sport do?

What is a cross floweing head? And porting? Boreing?

Im very sorry I dont know mch but I really want to get over 200 brake horse power on my G60.

Any advise welcome and simplifying would be great.

Thanks you all in advance very much for any help.

Thanks

John

Hi John

You have a G60 without the charger?? Where is it?

people usually use a 16v kr engine from a golf etc and change the appropriate bits for the conversion.

you can use a charger on this since if you put a bigger pully on, the charger will spin less at a given rpm and so you can take the engine to 7k and keep the charger within its design limits.

To get 200 bhp from your G60 you''ll need the charger firstly! Then get a 68mm pulley and chip to match, if you go for one of ours, you'll need a 3.5bar pressure regulator too. This should see you around 190 bhp. Then you should go for an exhaust system and camshaft which will take you over the 200 mark easily.

Oh, and you need to get your charger rebuilt, and as you're doing this might as well get it flowed to allow faster build up of boost. :D

Arr no! I DO already have charger, as in I have a normal G60 engine.

What I meant was im unsure if I should just mod it, or if it would be worth going for a whole new 16 valve engine instead. Is this KR engine the normal 16 valve GTI engine? If so i am wondering how you put the charger on to it as it isnt the same as a G60 normal engine is it? Is it the err compression or something somebody toold me is not b eright.

I just want some general info on modding the G60 engine and also doing a 16 valve G60 engine.

if i were you (well... i'm in the same situation as you)..i'm sticking with the 8v for the G60. i like low down torque, i like the smaller pulley on the charger that puts out a lot of boost in the low revs.. if you fit a 16v you'll either need to use a stock size pulley (78mm) or use a smaller pulley but stay low in the revs (which doesn't make sense for a 16v).

i'd either put a ported crossflow head on the 8v PG block... or have the stock 8v head ported out to allow more flow. ..or, i'd find another car to stick the G60 setup in, and start fresh with a 16v turbo conversion in this car. i know a lot of people (especially in europe) do 16vG60 conversions, but it just makes more sense to me to do a 16v turbo instead and use the high-reving engine and save the g-lader for a low-rever like the 8v.

g-laders were made to run smaller than stock pulley's imho.

keep asking questions.. 8)

Thats good advice actually. I prefer low down torque also. But I was just wondering if the 16 valve G60 woul dbe worth the extra tuning possibilities in final output - probably not.

Thanks for the help.

The other things I wanted help with is all this changing of belts/pullys sizes of them, porting etc...

What is a crossflow head?

What are the 2ltr G60 conversions like from Stealth? I basically want the most power possible out of the G60 engine. I want reliability though, but dont mind living a little dangerously.....

is your c std at the moment ?? there are plenty of things you can do to the g60 8v but dont expect more than around 220bhp without major budgets being blown..

i imagine that the 16v would be worth the extra tuning possibilities, but if you're planning on using a smaller pulley, you're not going to be able to take the 16v very high into its peak rpm range... so imho its not worth the effort/$$$ to make the conversion. for me personally anyway.. not saying i wouldn't love to be driving one!!

about pulleys, basically.. when you put a smaller pulley on the supercharger, it spins faster, creating more pressure, and moving more air, sooner in the rpm's and for greater peak pressure and cfm into the engine at redline.

when you use a smaller pulley, you're supposed to get a chip to help the ECU cope with the boost. the stock map sensor in the ecu only goes to 1bar (14.5psi).. so if you're making more than 1bar of boost, you need to upgrade the map sensor (bugger) or SNS makes a chip that is good at calculating values for fueling up fairly high.. 18-20psi is pretty much as much as you'll see out of a g-lader.

porting the charger moves more air (cfm) more efficiently. more air into the engine means more power.. and a lot of fun.

you need to match the fueling to support the boost.. .ie SNS stage 5-5 chip, 30# injectors (siemens DEKA or ford motorsport redtops by bosch) and a 3.5bar fuel pressure regulator.

a crossflow head is a superior head design to the 8v PG head found on the G60 motor. when ported it is even more efficient. the intake on the crossflow is at the front of the engine, therefore shortening the intake path (faster boost build rate) and keeping the (hopefully) cool intake air away from that very hot exhaust. after driving for a while the PG head intake manifold becomes heatsoaked, raising intake temps. the crossflow intake stays much cooler.. or so i've heard. i think you might have to get a crossflow head from north america.. dunno if you have them over there.

not sure about the stealth conversion but an extra 200cc's of displacement can't hurt. :twisted:

GsixT to get you on the tuning ladder I would firstly recomend getting the charger ported and flowed to a stg 4 to allow the airflow to go through the charger a bit more fluently and then a new pulley 68mm to bring the boost in a bit earlier (std pulley size is 78mm) for a bit more low down torque and also to reap the benifits a matched chip would help to get the fuelling right for the mods. These mods if setup correctly will be giving you near the 200bhp mark and will set you back roughly £1k. If you want to take it further than that then you can start looking at having your head polished and ported as well as the throttle body which will let your engine breathe a bit more you will lose a bit of boost through doing this but you will be getting more cfm ( cubic feet per minute) of air through the engine which will give you more torque. Then there is the option of uprating your fuel pressure regulator to a 3.5bar unit which will put less strain on your injectors all of this should be seeing your engine breathe alot better and give around 210bhp.

GsixT, so many questions!

I have owned a G60 since 1993 and being a complete petrol head have tried nearly every stage of modification going and completed all installation work myself. This year i completed the build on a 16VG60 engine and have been running this now for some months, and lovin it! If i can be of assistance in satisfying your curiosity then please do get in touch, or feel free to visit my workshop.

i knew you'd poke your head around eventually john! how about some pics of your setup?? :D

If ever a thread was "red rag to a bull" ! If this computer phobe had a digi camera i'd gladly post some pics!! Car will follow me to next NoRice meet hope to see some of you there. Offer still stands regards assistance to any of you guys, even though these days i am a Poacher become Gamekeeper.