Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Induction kit help (VR6)

I have just fitted a green air induction kit to my VR, with a number of problems!

The metal bracket needed serious bending to fit as it was far too short, meaning the ecu bit on the side of the plastic pipe now hits a sensor type thing on the suspensions turret. Plus, its sounds fantastic being new to a vr but a huge resonance goes through the whole car at around 5000 thats makes my fillings pick up radio channels.

Have a K&N on back order, are they much better? Or can anyone reckommend a decent set up please??????????

Many thanks

Nick

1994 MB VR

I hate cone filters on the VR....it ruins a perfectly smooth and refined engine.

I recommend you dump that and fit a BMC CDA if you like a little noise but don't want your fillings shaken out (£140 + P&P from Gwent VW).

You get a noticable gain in the bottom end and midrange without all the shouting....sounds utterly sublime on part throttle.

If you want refinement and a slightly improved throttle response, stick a K&N in the standard box. VW went to great lengths on the standard air box and it works very well.

It is rather interesting when looking at some aftermarket parts and what the companies that sell them say. The VR6 motor is pretty big and the engine compartment is rather small which means you get a lot of heat with these open element air filters and they tend to lose power and not gain it. Also, take a paper towel and breath through it and then cover it in oil and try the same test, oil doesn't flow air as well as straight paper. Lastly, you are now sucking all of the air through a smaller filter meaning you have a bigger bottle neck than before. Dyno testing on open air filters tend to show a loss in power and flow unless the factory paper filter is dirty and this is when filters such as K&N work better.

The VR6 is a pretty loud motor and there is nothing you can do to keep them quite when they are running an open element air filter. You can & should use a heat shield to surround the filter and this will help a bit plus it will drop the temps.

Cheers, Dennis

I remember reading a massive test on filters. Foam came out worst for filtration, oiled guaze second and paper first. The tester even started slagging K&N and then a K&N techie intervened with a massive retort (as they would) LOL!

Paper clogs quicker and easier though and doesn't like getting wet and the air pulled through is very turbulent compared to oiled guaze.

At the end of the day, you will always get people saying X is better than Y but I've never had any problems with K&N filters (panel type) over 10 years of use.

One thing worth mentioning aswell is the proximity of cone filters to the MAF sensor. It's very close and over oiling of the filter can contaminate the MAF sensor wire/film. Panel filters are fine as any excess oil has plenty of plastic to adhere to on it's way up to the MAF.

Cheers again. God i prefer reading this at work with pictures turned off (to cut my usage bill!). Get home and look on here and see how small my wheels are, how high my car rides and nobody else has stone chips!!

Think i'll ditch the induction and go panel. Get the rest of the car renewed to original spec then start playing more!