Sign in to follow this  
chargedupstorm

Need a Working Bonnet Lifter Solution please :cry:

A couple of months ago I was unfortunate to enough to have my garage door come down - blown by the wind ( :oops:

I was even more unfortunate to have my pride and joy sitting below the garage door with the bonnet in the up position. :shock:

Needless to say, I suffered the following:

- Bent bonnet stay

- Snapped support in inner wing

- Cracked rocker cover (very big ouch)

- A number of dents and scratches in the bonnet.

I've since got the damage repaired, short of having the bonnet sprayed that is.

I know some of these questions have been posed before but I wanted to

discuss the options available:

My options are these:

1) The Corrado bonnet is so heavy are there actually any working bonnet lifter solutions out there. My requirements are this: - Needs to clear a front top strut brace, be long lasting and reliable with limited number of cuts, drill holes but I'm prepared to do some.

2) What is the cost of a carbon fibre bonnet, has anyone in the UK got or seen a late spec bonnet in the flesh. I know the biggest stumbling block for the lifter solution is the weight of the bonnet so this is also an option.

3) Has anyone already fitted bonnet lifters and is willing to sell me their factory bonnet stay? My polished item is bent completly out of shape and I don't trust it's ever going to be up for the job again.

Appreciate comments, help with any pictures to boot. TIA Guy :?

the MKII twin lifters from either ECP or GSF WILL fit the Corrado's late bonnets (not tried an early one yet)

You need to CAREFULLY drill and tap a hole on both sides of the bonnet near the hinge mounting panel to mount it. The bottom ends (ball type joint) replace a pair of the wing fixing bolts. These will easily clear any strut brace as they simply sit along the top of the inner lip of the wings.

Chris-vr6-nos (or similar!) talked me through doing this and has been running similar on his car for a while now... 8)

Thanks Henny, Don't suppose you have any pictures.

I've spoken to Chris and he says he has the IMX lifters which I used to have, but couldn't see a way of easily getting them to fit. Some instructions, pictures / diagrams would be useful please.

Guy, I think I've got a stay I took out of my 1.8 valver when i fitted a single lifter (which wouldnt suit your needs as it wouldnt clear the brace) if you need it give me a shout. Hennys right about the mk2 lifters, I've seen chrisvr6nos's in the flesh and the look VERY neat.

Blue_Joe, you going to the next MK meet? I'll bring my pair down and we can see if they'll fit.... They should do, as the hinges are the same on both types of bonnet, and the line along the wing/bonnet joint is the same too... I'm probably just being overly cautious about saying that "they will fit all corrados" 'cos I don't want to be the cause of anyone messing up their car... 8)

chargedupstorm, I never got around to fitting mine to J-DUB 'cos of the crash... I'll be fitting 'em to H-YYU at some point soon, so will do a full "how to" then... 8) Oh, and mine are the same INXX ones too... 8)

It's nice to be mentioned from time to time! :lol:

As andy says 'Use the search'

There are a number of pics of my lifters and how they are fitted in my members gallery unless they have been deleted somewhere along the line.

If these aren't sufficiant then Guy, just for you i'll take some more, poss when i'm at yours i'll do it for you or help out at least, just be sure to drill through at least half of the spot weld so it has strong metal to tap into.

Give me a ring later if ya want.

Chris

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Second pic from the bottom....

A close up of where you drilled would be good Chris as I have a pair of lifters that need to go on too....bought the INXXs at inters last year!

IIRC the bit you have to drill is angled isn't it and quite thin metal?

I'm not scared of drilling but I need to know I'm drilling in the right place and the bonnet won't fall on my head afterwards, LOL!

Thanks for the link kevhaywire, just what I was after to visualise the installation. Like the search would have turned up those pictures in relation to bonnet lifters?

Come on Chris get off your ar5e and take some detailed snaps of where the holes are drilled so I can get these ordered and fitted before I start to tackle sorting out my belt and pulley configuration for the drive to Worthersee. (Please)

The annoying thing was I had 2 sets of INXX's before and recently gave them away doh! - Best go and order some more...

WARNING! The volks bits one is the single lifter!

Dunno about the bonrath one though...

Henny - I won't be at the next MK meet as my motor is in Pro-Tune in Stafford having a full custom built FMIC setup and custom inlet and butterfly valve intot the throttle body. Going to be another 2-3 weeks before it is finished.

Carbon bonnets are about £600-800 but would look sweet and weigh sod all.Id get 1 if i could afford 1

Is there any truth to the rumour that CF bonnets are bloody leathal in an accident 'cos they don't crumple and so tend to shear off the hinges and come straight through the windscreen acting like a guillotine? :|

Right I've just ordered a pair of lifters (2 sets) - thanks for the warning Henny, from Volksbits and when Chris VR6nos, (hint hint) takes some more detailed pictures I'll do a write up as I'm fitting them to my later style bonnet.

Don't like the idea of that carbon fibre bonnet now... :eek

Is there any truth to the rumour that CF bonnets are bloody leathal in an accident 'cos they don't crumple and so tend to shear off the hinges and come straight through the windscreen acting like a guillotine? :|

True of cheap carbon 'effect' bonnets possibly, but the proper layered woven mat CF is perfectly safe in an accident. Both the SLR and F1 went through extensive crash testing and their CF folded up steel :)

cool... I'd heard the rumours, but I'd never seen any evidence to either proove of disproove 'em.... 8)

It's just cheap o sh1t CF that's dodgy Henny mate :wink:

If you see a genuine CF bonnet that's less than a grand, be suspicious.

I watched a program about building chassis tubs and body panels out of CF and it's one heck of a process and is VERY VERY expensive to do properly..... hence why the SLR and F1 are so expensive.