Sign in to follow this  
Neverite

charged 1.8 16v?

i know this has been discussed before, but i can t find it anywhere.. so ill ask it anyway, sry!.

what has to be replaced/what changes have to be made to a 1.8 16v before you can supercharge/turbo it and what sort of money would it take. ive spent some time getting the car upto a good mechanical standard and would like to do something a bit more 'extreme' now. any advice appreciated, cheers. Andy. :)

search is no friend of mine, always says horrible random things to me! but i see you get on quite well with it yourself vr6 lol, thanks for looking for me :wink:

and neil, 250 sounds quite evil :evil: but guys from what im hearing so far id be better off (price wise) just finding myself a nice vr6???

You can't tune a VR6 as much unless you s/c it. Go forced induction if you want big power. Remember it's a fwd though at the end of the day and if you want big power you might as well go rwd or 4wd.

RWD's not much better over 250bhp or so... you just end up spinning the rear end out on every corner which, although lots of fun, doesn't make the car any faster! :lol:

ye henny, always liked the way a FWD feels for some reason....(maybe cus i never drove any decent RWD's lol) .and to get a vr6 and charge that would obviously be even more costly(cus id have to buy the car first!)

hmmmmm... :?: :?: (ponder, ponder) :?: :?:

well while were on the subject, just wondering, is it easier to 16v a g60 than it is to g60 a 16v?

Neverite, it's cheaper to go G60 -> G60 16V 'cos you've already got the charger and injection system... doesn't mean it's impossible though...

Personally, I'd keep an eye out for a set of Audi S2 pistons and a turbotechnics 16V kit like Kev used to have in his golf 16Vturbo... nicely thought out kit with BAGS of power! 8)

I had a chat with JMR about this, and it is definately easier to go G60 -> 16v G60 rather than 16v -> 16v G60. He mentioned a lot of things you wouldn't normally think about unitl you were half way through a conversion. Stuff like needing a G60 wiring loom, that's the whole engine bay loom, G60 clocks, different alternator( I think he mentioned a daihatsu one - needs to be small to mount underneath the charger) different inlet mainfold, fuel rail, injectors, etc etc The only advantage from using a 16v as a base is the high pressure fuel pump used by the K-Jet! I suggest giving JMR a call, he's a serious fountain of knowledge!

I was put off the idea of 16v G60 because of cost, although it's still in the back of my mind 8)

As Henny suggests you might be better looking out for a turbotechnics kit!

yup, still playing with the idea myself seeing as I'll have a spare G60 engine and 2 spare 16V engines kicking around shortly... :| :roll:

RWD's not much better over 250bhp or so... you just end up spinning the rear end out on every corner which, although lots of fun, doesn't make the car any faster! :lol:

Gotta disagree with you there. Look at all the high power fwd cars on the market now, Focus RS, 146 GTA, any modern V6 Alfa for that matter, Fiat Coupe. All are complete animals. You either have horrible traction control coming in all the time or an LSD which squirms all over the place. Taming rwd is much easier. Front wheels for steering, rear wheels for driving. Plus you can't drift fwd cars :) All decent perofrmance cars are not fwd (bar some hot Honda's which have seemed to have got the hang of fwd)

Neil g60, yeah, I do agree with you... I should have clarified what I meant a bit better... :oops: I was distracted by a young lady who I'd not seen in 5 years as I was writing that reply... 8)

Similar (originally priced) FWD and RWD cars which have been modified to be over 250(ish) BHP are pretty much all animals to drive... RWD tends to be better IF the car was designed to be RWD... If it's been modified to be RWD (as suggested in the post I was replying to) when it was designed to be FWD, then you're gonna run into handling problems like Ian Birch did with his orange RWD Golf MKI which just couldn't get the power down the the ground... At that point, it's primarily a weight distribution thing... 8)

so whats the answer to making a 16v quicker then?

is there anything that can be done realisitically? and what kind of results can be expected?? i've done the manifold/exaust and induction mods :?

you see there is one problem with all you guys... you all know loads and are too bloody helpful! so halfway down the page i get confused or spoilt for choice!!! lmao.

but seriously, thanks for all the help on this everyone.. so far i think i have two choices. one is the s2 piston and TT kit, which sounds interesting

and the second is sell the valver and get a better project base!

Neil g60, yeah, I do agree with you... I should have clarified what I meant a bit better... :oops: I was distracted by a young lady who I'd not seen in 5 years as I was writing that reply... 8)

Similar (originally priced) FWD and RWD cars which have been modified to be over 250(ish) BHP are pretty much all animals to drive... RWD tends to be better IF the car was designed to be RWD... If it's been modified to be RWD (as suggested in the post I was replying to) when it was designed to be FWD, then you're gonna run into handling problems like Ian Birch did with his orange RWD Golf MKI which just couldn't get the power down the the ground... At that point, it's primarily a weight distribution thing... 8)

I agree entirely! :)

Neverite, it's off a Scirocco 16V where the air box is on the passenger side, not the drivers, so the manifold had to be reversed... 8)

so what did turbo technics use to lowers the compresion on the 16v conversion they did, different pistions, or the old thicker head gasket trick?

KEV? need your experience here methinks... I just ran out of knowledge on this one... :lol: 8)

Saw one on T'internet the other day, and the bloke had used a 2.0l 9a block as a base and had off-set bushes the pistons, but as for 1.8, over to you Kev!

Bobby, I thought if you use the s2 pistons they are a different compression ratio (8 to 1).. hope that is the correct answer to your question.

okheres a stupid question for you...

why is that manifold round the wrong way?? lol :oops:[/quoteIf your to run a charge 16vg60, you need this manifold as all the induction pipe work comes up the n/s

i swear that ive seen a turbo technics kit on a 16v golf using the original manifold???, it all kinda fit tightly next to the original airbox. Believe it was on here not so long ago??