Sign in to follow this  
smudge

oil smell in cabin

I am getting very pi**ed off trying to sort a oil smell in the cabin.

It is only noiticable after a longish trip - say 20mins. and gets worse at standstill. I really noitice it when I get out of the car and get straight back in. I have had the sump seal changed and still the same problem. I took the car to my local garage (Star Performance about 300miles away) and they said the sump was a little loose which they sorted. The problem has come back and the local garage say a new sump seal will fix it.

What do you think? could it be anything else?

Thanks Smudge

'95 Strom.

also check the seal that runs along the top of the scuttle panel is intact as if its missing or not sealing against the bonnet it will allow engine smells to enter the interior fan inlet

yeah i get this too sometimes, though only very occasionally. Mine smells like a drip of oil dropping onto the hot downpies its defo a burning oil smell. Thing is she hardly uses any oil and there are no apparent leaks. Kev PCV valve?? sorry if im being stupid what and where

Cheers edd

It's the where the rocker breather outlet meets the intake hose. You probably haven't got the PCV valve on yours as it's a 92. Only 94 on cars got it, but you can still check for splits etc in the breather related pipes.

I'd check A - that the Breather PCV valve isn't split and B - there are no oil leaks around the head/rocker gasket

Very common problem, the breather hose coming off of the valve cover and going into the main intake pipe will leak oil. The breather hose take oil vapour out of the motor and burns it but as these fumes are pulled out they stick to the inside of the pipe. There is a heater in the vent tube and this causes the oil to be nice and warm and as it settles in the breather tube it slips to the bottom. Depending on the year of your car there are many joints in this hose and the oil will drip out and the exhaust manifold is directly under this. It drips out slowly and goes right onto the heat shield and burns off and this is how you can smell it butning. 9 time out of ten this will be it...

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado-3/VR ... Bypass.jpg

Look around there and I'm sure you will find your problem.

Cheers, Dennis

Dennis, that heater you mentioned is again something only the US market got. The socket is a dummy one on Euro cars....but the plug and loom are still present and connected....VW eh?

It is interesting some of the differences between North American cars and European ones. The heater is used to stop ice forming in the intake tract in cold areas. As a Canadian spec car mine has this heater and it also has heated wiper jets, headlight washers and a 7 or 8 litre washer tank. You can see the headlight washers on the bumper under the headlights...

http://members.shaw.ca/VR6_Corrado/Car4.jpg

This seems to be a Canada only thing, no American cars got them. Do you guys see headlight washers over in Europe?

Cheers, Dennis

Wow, that is a very clean Corrado Dennis. I like your moonroof conversion too. From reading your posts on the Canadian forum, you seem to know a lot about it. I have a MK3 Golf assembly and glass panel. I think I'm just going to retain the steel panel and use the MK3 subframe (tracks) as mine is worn out, would this work? I know the Mk3 roof profile is different to the Corrado one and the B3 Passat Estate seems to have the flattest glass panel....

Anyway, I digress...

Yeah our Mod Dinkus has headlight washers on his UK VR6. He is the only person I'm aware of on the forum to have them and must be one of a small number nationwide.

Apart from our VR6 being 2.9, the engines are essentially the same - less that heater and the Exhaust Gas Recirc system. I suspect your ECU maps are different too as you have more choices of gas octane.

Interior wise they are similar too, with the exception of the seatbelts and some US/Canadian Corrados had knee bars too IIRC?

Cheers, Kev

Thankyou all very much for the advise I will have a look on Sunday. Fingerscrossed for fresh air in my car!!

Smudge