Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

G60 ISV

The Idle Valve (ISV) on my G60 has never been particuarly noisey but I do here it click when the ignition is turned on and you can here the motor hum if you listen carefully...

What I have noticed while trying to sus out my current running problems is that it appears to 'pulse' every few seconds...

Bassically I have the valve off at the moment and if I hold it in my hand and plug it in with the ignition power to it you can feel it running but every few seconds it stops and imediatly starts again, very consistent but is this normal???

A bit OT but have you sorted your car out now ? As of yesterday my idle has gone a bit mad - keeps dropping far too low and almost stalling on me, ISV do you think ? The wierd thing is that it has been idling too high for months, i'd pull up at lights with it revving its nuts off sometimes before it slowly settled to 900 - 1000 rpm, Stealth were gonig to look at it but never got the time.

Worth cleaning it, have you tried unplugging the blue temp sensor?? - If the revs don't drop then, then the sensor is shagged...

Hows the suspension?

Well i'm embarrased to say that i had a look but don't even know where it is !! LOL. I know that avatar says enthusiast but i'm very much a newbie too this G60 malarky. So WTF is it .

Suspension is amazing !! Ride back was great, the road from Southam to Daventry was cool - was grinning from ear to ear round the twisties until a pheasant decided to walk out in front of me !! Ouch !! No damage but i sh@t myself !!

Right, I think this might be my problem after speaking to Darren (G-man)

He said it should not pulse but has discovered it does when he unplugs the Blue Temp sensor...

I went to test again and plugged in my old sensor but still the same...

Looks like something on that circuit is bad and causes my car to almost stop when it reaches 80 degrees...

I've checked the wiring physically and have checked continuity to the ECU plug, also when I uplug the BTS when the engine is running, the note chages so I think the connection is there but something on that circuit is bad causing the ECU to change the fueling map...

Any Ideas....

Strange - mine was OK this morning, started fine, drove 20 miles to work still idling fine. Go have a look at lunch time, started and idled fine , unplugged the Blue Temp Sensor and it dropped and sounded like i explained before. On the way home on starting/idling was OK then when it was hot the revs dropped sounding like the BTS was unplugged again. What i didn't mention before was my temp guage hasn't worked for the last month or 2. Whats going on here ?? Both Blue and Black sensors gone ??

Well, they are both the same age but could also be an airlock...

Nice and easy to change but you can measure the resistance first...

I could if i knew how !! And if it was light and i had some tools !! Is it just the top plug that you replace? And are they crimped or screwed or somehow ? Just seems weird that when i unplugged it, it made a difference, makes me think that it works.

Well i ordered both sensors from GSF earlier, worth a try. I noticed they don't stock G60 ISV's, are they available through stealerships ?

Steve, I have been loking for faults on my car for some time, as it still doesnt feel *that* alive 100% of the time. On good friday I had the ecu loom appart and checked all earths and sender wires going to it (with the exception of pins 1,2,3,16,17,20,21,23,24 as they are no connects or dont terminate in the engine bay) and everything was good. Today, I finally remembered to check the blue temp sender's effect on the ISV when the engine was warm.

With everything connected, the engine off, and the ignition on, I can feel the ISV hum and just under every second it pulses. If i disconnect my BTS, then the pulses turns to clicks.

Do you see these two different stages? Can anyone else confirm if this is how their ISV behaves?

Cheers

Steve, I have been loking for faults on my car for some time, as it still doesnt feel *that* alive 100% of the time. On good friday I had the ecu loom appart and checked all earths and sender wires going to it (with the exception of pins 1,2,3,16,17,20,21,23,24 as they are no connects or dont terminate in the engine bay) and everything was good. Today, I finally remembered to check the blue temp sender's effect on the ISV when the engine was warm.

With everything connected, the engine off, and the ignition on, I can feel the ISV hum and just under every second it pulses. If i disconnect my BTS, then the pulses turns to clicks.

Do you see these two different stages? Can anyone else confirm if this is how their ISV behaves?

Cheers

yes this is correct your is doing what they should do ..

Thats what a mates G60 golfs seems to do but mines doesn't, just pulses engine off and on... I tried his ISV as well and it does the same as mine (in my car) and doesn't fix the fault...

You can check pin 2 (goes to the O2 sensor) and this earths near the plug (not to pin 6 on the ECU)

Having been thru everything and checked and double checked, I now think i may have a fault with the MAP sensor as timing seems to constantly change (even after the BTS is disconnected) :(

carpoid, yeah, stuck the original one back in and it ran even worse...

Best of all the tax has just run out and with no MOT it's just sitting on my driveway... Looks nice tho, I'm thinking of cutting the roof off and using it as a flower bed!