Sign in to follow this  
chuck

16v performance exhausts

Simply that, wots a good aftermarket exhaust system for a 1.8 16v. I'm not looking any huge performance gains, or a huge noise. Just stainless and new. Subtle being key....

Mine has developed an almost tinny noise. don't think its the manifold.

Does it rattle when at idle and low revs and sound like your car is rubbish? Does it sound like it's coming from near the front? I had a similar problem with my G60 a few weeks back. Don't know the 1.8 16v much so excuse the dumb question.... does it have a CAT? If it has or had one and it's been removed and a de-cat pipe fitted, check that the lambda sensor is screwed in tightly. This was what was wrong with mine. Had the exhaust off checking for bits in it and everything. Wasn't till we were putting it back on we realised the sensor was loose. A quick tighten up and the noise was gone. Hope this helps.

Noise will 99% be the front pipe heatshield, the long bolts that pass between the pipes at the front rust and fall apart causing the sheild to rattle. So if you do buy a performance exhaust get it checked it first as many dont include the front pipe, so the rattle will still be there,

Bigrim early 16v KR dont have CATS therefor no O2 sensor.

Has anyone seen or heard a Supeprint "backfire" stainless steel fitted yet, priced one up £270 so would like to know any news on them.

try exhaustsuk.com they do custom built ones that are made on the car, all for the same price as a magnex. you can choose your own tailpipe design and even the sound it will make. i have one and it is spot on

jim

I had mine done at exhausts uk, quality job and service.

think its lifetime on system and 25yrs on labour.

could be wrong thou.

well impressed with mine gives a nice burble on tick over as if its got a turbo

Doh! Thanks for pointing that out for me. My knowledge of the 16v is even less than that of my G60 but I' only 4 months into this Corrado ownership so I'm still learning. You learn something new every day. 8)

Mmmm, maybe tinny was the wrong description. Theres deff no rattle. It sounds like crap tho. sounds like a small engined burble, like a blow out only not.

funny you should mention the heatshield. ATS tried to take it off when undoing the down pipe bolts for me - long story. But he used a big chisel and an even bigger hammer. Broke the rear bolt and pretty much mangled the rest of it, but couldn't remove it. I managed to clamp it back together again with a broad silencer wrap clamp. pretty sure theres no rattle from it. Also if you hold a cloth over the rear, the engine dosn't struggle, and the slight noise only gets slightly louder.

Is the heat shield really needed? Maybe a silly question if its there, but if i have to replace it, hows that done too? Does an aftermarket exhaust need one?

What sort of price should I expect for a whole stainless system, including downpipe?

Appologies as this is really disjointed, but I'm now running several ideas thru my mind.

I have a supersport system on my 16v, with a oval tail pipe looks nice, the sound is ok but not like a big bore 4. The rattle could be the heatsheild that runs to the air box coz mine snapped off and i just removed it coz it aint no use untill the winter.

Cheers

Chuck, The heatshield is there to protect the area around from getting to hot, but you can remove it if you want, if you decide replace it you will have to remove the front pipe from the car to make it easy. The price of exhaust systems vary so much from cheaper systems of £250 up to about £500 for decent make (supersprint, remus etc) but like above you could have a custom made job.

If you have loads of dosh buy a 4 branch manifold at the same time for about £300. :)

Its still all an option, but i really feel a bit stupid right now. See, i changed the dizzy this evening (for a whole other reason - broken hall connector, leaking oil too), and had to retime it all. I managed to set it so that it pinked really badly, but noticed there was no ugly exhaust noise. So I brought it back a bit, and sure enough there was that ugly noise. bang in the middle of that with a wee tweak after some driving, and now it neither pinks nor makes that awful exhaust noise. :D

So it wasn't the exhaust after all. but now I've started me thinking 'bout exhausts (mmm... 4-branch...)..........

BTW, I think this is what happened - I could be talking cr@p as I'm self teaching myself all this :? If anyone disagrees, please say so.